Using scented bleach

waste

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
Coastalish 'down easter'
Hello all :wave:

While I accept as Gospel that you shouldn't use scented bleach on the pool, what exactly does the 'scenting agent' do? (Chlorox scented bleach has NO ingredients listed on the label - not even sodium hypo :scratch: !) One of our customers apparently added 3 large jugs of the scented stuff and 2 of the regular - I left a note not to use the scented stuff in the future but it's begging the question of "Why not?" Any input will be greatly appreciated, cause I know this guy is gonna ask.

TIA :goodjob:

Thank you Strannik!

I was hoping for the ~'damage' caused by the 'scenting' and what the chem is that the 'scenting' has that makes it undesirable to add to the pool. (I'll check in real quick tomorrow AM, and if I have to deal with him, I'll just tell him that I am researching the problem and will get back to him on Monday - in the mean time, I HOPE to hear from the chem 'gurus' :mrgreen:

The scent is in pretty small quantities so should not cause problems. The main reasons not to use the scented bleaches is that they are very weak, possibly have more extra lye in them so would have the pH rise more (for the amount of FC introduced), and the scent is just something extra you wouldn't normally want in your pool. It probably doesn't cause harm, but why add anything extra?

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.