Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using scented bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Using scented bleach

Hello all

While I accept as Gospel that you shouldn't use scented bleach on the pool, what exactly does the 'scenting agent' do? (Chlorox scented bleach has NO ingredients listed on the label - not even sodium hypo !) One of our customers apparently added 3 large jugs of the scented stuff and 2 of the regular - I left a note not to use the scented stuff in the future but it's begging the question of "Why not?" Any input will be greatly appreciated, cause I know this guy is gonna ask.

TIA
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Using scented bleach

Well for a start it is approximately half the strength of unscented bleach. So you need more of it to achieve the same.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you Strannik!

I was hoping for the ~'damage' caused by the 'scenting' and what the chem is that the 'scenting' has that makes it undesirable to add to the pool. (I'll check in real quick tomorrow AM, and if I have to deal with him, I'll just tell him that I am researching the problem and will get back to him on Monday - in the mean time, I HOPE to hear from the chem 'gurus'
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

The scent is in pretty small quantities so should not cause problems. The main reasons not to use the scented bleaches is that they are very weak, possibly have more extra lye in them so would have the pH rise more (for the amount of FC introduced), and the scent is just something extra you wouldn't normally want in your pool. It probably doesn't cause harm, but why add anything extra?

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

To be exact - scented is 2.75 sodium hypo and unscented - 6%
    I don't know if scented and unscented are the same price, but even if they are - they are paying double.

6. Back To Top    #6

THANK YOU GENTLEMEN!! Now I can deal with this PITA customer better
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    THANK YOU GENTLEMEN!! Now I can deal with this PITA customer better
    LOL - I hope he never finds this site, figures out who "Waste" is and who "PITA" is....hehehehe
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Also, here in the US none of the scented bleach products have EPA approval as sanitizers.