Help please! Correct filter size?

I have followed TFP last 2 summers since moving to a house with a pool but just joined. I need to replace my sandfilter. Deciding between sand and cartridge.

Have 10,000 gallon above ground pool (place in ground), not sure if the return an skimmer lines or 1.5 or 2" flexible lines, pump and filter piping is 2"pvc (but may need to be redone to fit new filter), Pump is hayward proflow matrix 1.5 hp. Return and skimmer are right by the pumps so the lines are only 3-4 feet. When I put on the polaris to sweep bottom of pool and gather leaves, it slows down the water flow significantly--so I usually try to put it on for just a short time but wanted to mention that since it affects flow rate.

I was reading recommendations on other threads for size of filer but could not find a good reference.

What size for cleaning area and gpm should I look for with a sandfilter and a cartridge? I want to look at both options.

Should I avoid certain brands?

Another factors to share is I have a lot of trees...and have been fighting possible mustard algae (when FC gets to around 5 or less, water gets cloudy and starts to bloom if not shocked--even with CYA at 40 or less). Just passed the overnight test but now had to shut down pump with sandfilter leak...ahhh!

In deciding between sand or cartridge--which is easier to winterize? We could not get our sand filter open this year to winterize (new pool for us) and it was below freezing many days. I prefer to just shut off pool rather than maintain it over the winter---way too many leaves fall and can't keep up with skimmer basket when at work and pump is sucking air.

Any help would be appreciated. I want the equipment to run smoothly for my pool and don't want to buy the wrong one.

For a 10k pool, I would suggest a minimum of 18" sand filter or a 150 sqft cartridge filter ... bigger is always better.

The filter really has very little to do with prevent algae or cleaning up leaves. Chlorine prevents algae and your skimmer / vacuum should be catching the leaves.

Any filter needs to be drained if you are going to close the pool (not sure I would recommend this for TX though). On either, you should just need to open up the drain on the bottom and remove the pressure gauge and store it inside.

Thank you!! I have an above ground pool but it looks like most above ground pool sand filters are smaller. Intex does not look expensive, but do I need to be looking at something different for durability.

Also, there are SWG that are not too expensive for above ground pools. Some of them say they are certified for up to 15,000 gallons. Do I need to look at a certain level of specs if I added a SWG given my pool and equipment?

We recommend sizing a SWG at 1.5-3 times the size of your pool. I would suggest looking for something in the 20k range.

Many members use the Intex sand filters as a great upgrade from the Intex cartridges. But, they are smaller. There is no difference between in ground and above ground filters.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.