Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sandy in Arlington with vinyl inground pool leak unresolved since July 2, 2013

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy Sandy in Arlington with vinyl inground pool leak unresolved since July 2, 2013

Hi
    I found this forum and signed up in desperation, this morning. My pool guy (who opens, closes, and addresses my pool problems) is unable to fix a leak that started last July 2. Does someone know a "fantastic at detecting and FIXING" leaks person or company in the DC area? I'm in Arlington, VA, my pool is 20,000 gallons, has a vinyl liner over foam and a cinder block base (liner was replaced 2 yrs ago); the leak started after the torrential rains we had last July. My pool guy pressure tested the lines (Polaris, intake and return), and did the electrical, "where does the current go following a leak" process (no useful results). He thought the light receptacle was the problem, has resealed it twice, most recently a month ago. The level held until yesterday when I connected the Polaris. The leak began again last time I restarted the Polaris (in the fall), but he swears the Polaris is not causing the leak. He just replaced the xeobrite in the sand filter yesterday (it was 6 yrs old, he says early to replace it but it was not clearing the water) and probably because given the leak problems, low water level, I'd had huge algae problems too, which I've never had before. I've had this pool since 1994, never had these ongoing problems earlier. HELP?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Sandy in Arlington with vinyl inground pool leak unresolved since July 2, 2013

Hi Sandy!

I work in DC and live in Fairfax. Welcome to TFP!

How much water are you leaking? Is it a consistent leak? Generally it is best to isolate the location of the leak before bringing in a professional... especially here in the DC metro. I don't which costs more, an attorney, a consultant or a pool professional, lol.

Here is a link that gives a brief overview of leaks: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...leak-detection

Leaks are either in the pool or the plumbing. I suggest doing the overnight bucket test. Do not run any of the pool equipment overnight. Put a bucket on the stairs and fill the bucket so that the water lines of the bucket and pool match up. In the morning, check to see if the water lines still match up.

If water lines in the bucket and pool don't match up, you know you have at least one leak and it is in pool area. Let the water leak until it stops leaking. The source of the leak will be somewhere along the water line when it the pool stops leaking water. Just make sure that you don't let the water leak so low that it doesn't leave enough water for you liner. You want to make sure that you have at least 1 foot in the shallow end.

If water in the bucket and pool do match up, you have a leak somewhere in the plumbing. Generally, plumbing water leaks are somewhere between the pool pump and the pool returns (where the water goes back into the pool).

For the algae problems, we suggest you get your own test kit (either the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006) and post those results here. We'll help guide you to get your water sparkling and keep money in your wallet out of the pool store hands. I have saved a fortune since learning how to take control of my own water chemistry. Most chemicals can be purchased cheaper from your grocery, Costco or big box store. The TF-100 is the best pool purchase I have made and I don't get anything for the endorsement

We strongly recommend the TF-100, but here is a comparison of kits :http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...its-comparison

Read the other articles in pool school like:
    Getting started: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...etting-started
    Overview to defeating algae: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...efeating-algae
    SLAM your pool to get rid of algae: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ntain-shocking
    CL/CYA Chart: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock
    Recommended levels: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...mmended-levels

- - - Updated - - -

Also, please update your signature, go to click on "settings" at the top of this page, then click "edit signature" on the lower left side of the page.

Signature
    Please put the following information in your signature.

The size of your pool in gallons
    If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
    If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
    The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the size, model number or flow rate of the filter.
    If you know, please tell us the size pump in HP. Also mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
    Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
    Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

Please keep your signature to 5 lines or shorter. Everything above can be stated quit compactly. For example:
    19K gal, IG vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot

Information in your signature will show up each time you post. This helps the people answering your questions by providing the basic information that affects nearly all of our recommendations.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Sandy in Arlington with vinyl inground pool leak unresolved since July 2, 2013

Thank you!
    I will do the bucket test, I read your recommendations, will look up the other recommended reading, and yes, I fixed my signature, thanks again.
    But, I can't fix the leak myself, can you recommend a local vinyl IG pool expert/company? I've used Finn's the last few years, Potomac and Millenium before that--all of these get good reviews on Consumer Checkbook--very surprising, considering my experiences with each.
    6/2014: replaced xeobrite; 1 HP power threaded shaft motor (installed 6/2013)
    20k, IG, 27mL vinyl (relined 8/2011); over foam and cinderblocks, pool from 1953
    Installed 6/2008: Tagelis 60 sand filter, Polaris 280 w booster pump, 0ffline Chlorinator

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

As you do the recommended tests, post back here what you see to get more advice. Some fixes are simple as applying a patch to your liner... cheap and easy as long as it isn't in the deep end

Leak detection takes a lot of time and pool companies know customers don't want to pay for several hours of diagnostic work. I'll send you a PM with pool companies I have used.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    2017 replaster/retile

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP. Hope you get this sorted and can enjoy your pool.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Any updates?
    Karen
    2017 replaster/retile