Pool heater temperature remote

Fyzbo

Jun 18, 2014
Cary, NC
Our Pentair Mastertemp 250na heater is toast and needs to be replaced. Easiest approach would be to replace with the same brand and model, but I wanted to see if anyone makes a heater with a remote. The heater is used exclusively for a spa and my wife constantly wants the temperature adjusted. It's a pain to get out and make adjustments. I would love a waterproof remote she can use to move the temperature up and down a degree. Does anyone offer this?

I'm not aware of a heater with a remote. This is usually a function of the automation as the heater should only be attempting to power up when the pump is running. Most heaters can be setup in a "remote" mode where the on / off and thermostat are externally controlled.

I use an Intermatic PE653RC for exactly this function.

There are no remotes on the market that will tell you the water temperature via the heater. You can wire a remote on/off switch though.

This really amazes me as it would be extremely useful. Do you know of anyone who has tried to add one to a heater?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not aware of a heater with a remote. This is usually a function of the automation as the heater should only be attempting to power up when the pump is running. Most heaters can be setup in a "remote" mode where the on / off and thermostat are externally controlled.

I use an Intermatic PE653RC for exactly this function.

Does the Intermatic PE653RC actually control the heater's set temperature? I've seen that a lot of the automation system can only turn the heater on and off, not actually change the settings.

The PE653RC does control the temperature. You can also set a pool temp and a spa temp. When it is spa mode it heats way up and in pool mode it maintains whatever you have set. It uses its own thermostat that is installed before the heater.

All decent automation systems will allow you to control the temperature from a remote. Take for instance the Easytouch by Pentair. With the Easytouch handheld remote, you can set the temp you want and the control system will turn the heater on and get it to the temp you set.

The Intermatic PE653RC is an automation type system, low end in cost. So you are not just being able to control the heaters temp but also any automatic valves you have and so on.

As for the heater, yes it's easier to just replace it with the same model you have now but if you have the space for it, I would consider the Raypak model as well. Food for thought.

All decent automation systems will allow you to control the temperature from a remote. Take for instance the Easytouch by Pentair. With the Easytouch handheld remote, you can set the temp you want and the control system will turn the heater on and get it to the temp you set.

The Intermatic PE653RC is an automation type system, low end in cost. So you are not just being able to control the heaters temp but also any automatic valves you have and so on.

As for the heater, yes it's easier to just replace it with the same model you have now but if you have the space for it, I would consider the Raypak model as well. Food for thought.

The EasyTouch seems like such overkill to raise/lower the temperature a degree or two.

Why would you consider Raypak? What are the benefits of the switch?

I only mentioned the easytouch as most people choose something like this for automation of a pool/spa.

Raypak is the highest rated unit in this forum and personally the best on the market today. I service lots of units and the Mastertemp, same unit as Sta-Rite Max E Therm, are the most repaired by me. This is just my personally observation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.