how do I get my water crystal clear again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2014
KS
Ok so I have an agp with a swcg and had algae so I shocked with super select it got rid of the algae but now water is cloudy and I used my 3 way test strips that test for fc, ph& TA im new to this testing chemicals and confused abot what I should fix first so I had a fc of .5 and got that up to between 3&5 then I had a ph of 7.2 so i got that up to the approx 7.5 and mean while my fc dropped to.5 again which I didn't realize that would happen til after the fact. And my ta is onthe high side which is I guess my water is cloudy prob 120 -180. I'm using the triple B method. please help I would like to swim in the pool before summer is over. Thanks in advance !

Welcome to TFP.

The first step in taking care of your pool is getting a good test kit.

Those test strips are not only inaccurate but also don't have the precision to be of much help when something happens.

Do you know what your CYA (stabilizer/conditioner) is?

Welcome to TFP!

It would be preferred for you to go through the SLAM process rather than depend on a one-time addition of some "shock" product. Please look at the process in Pool School.

When you kill the algae, it turns white and has to be filtered out by your pool's filter. Let it run 24/7 until the water is clear. Please note, unless you follow the directions for the SLAM process, you may not entirely remove the algae. Also, without a good test kit, it is impossible for us to give guidance on chemical levels. For example, right now we do not know your current CYA level, and any chlorine level recommendations would simply be shooting in the dark.

Hey I got an hth test kit snd tried testing the cya like it said to in the directions and when was putting back into small tube the black dot never disappeared looking at down from top view so im guessing its so low its not registering or what please help me would really like to use our pool before summer is over

How old is this pool/water, Is it something new or recently drained with fresh water? Glad you got a test kit to test CYA reading, but to continue with clearing your pool, not having a test kit with the FAS-DPD chlorine test (or adding the FAS-dpd test to your current kit) will make it a guessing game. http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine-CC-s-test-p47.html

In a nut shell, you should be using pool math (link at the top of the page) to raise your CYA to 30, and begin the SLAM process. - http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

I think I ready to drain and forget it last person told me to guy et a test kit to test for cya and all I wanna do . Is clear the water and now your telling me something foreign yhat no one hss ever mention, you know ty his is a pool with a saltwater. System and it has been filled since may 3-4please read whole thread before replying

Last edited by a moderator:
They told you to get a good test kit, the one you got is not one of the recommended test kits listed in Pool School. Sorry, the sales man lied to you. You need to test and maintain the chemistry, not just poor salt in.

If you want to have a clear pool, we can teach you. But there is some effort required, in ordering a good test kit and reading Pool School.

With algae/cloudy water, you have to follow the SLAM process to clear it. To do that, you need a FAS-DPD chlorine test kit.

I've tested previously scott and fc was .5 was told need to check cya level before I go further if you read the comment from Robbie cause wasn't sure what should start with first cause if you start with the fc you raise that but lower the ph go to ta get that back in range you lower ph also I believe.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
But ive already shocked it its white all on the bottom so are you saying then I need to get the dead stuff off the bottom cause someone said let filter pump run 24x7 but its all on the bottom doesn't seem to be getting it out

An the only reason I bought his pool was cause the guy told yeah alls you gotta do is put the salt in it and and basically forget don't have to test it or nothing and it'll stay crystal clear

Think of this pool as a baby. A good baby. You were told, you're getting a good baby. Guess what? Good babies turn into monsters when you don't feed them. This baby of yours wants CHLORINE! Do you understand that? It's HUNGRY!!! Would you go on a road trip with no gas in your car? You're expecting a pool to clear with no chlorine.

I've tested previously scott and fc was .5 was told need to check cya level before I go further if you read the comment from Robbie cause wasn't sure what should start with first cause if you start with the fc you raise that but lower the ph go to ta get that back in range you lower ph also I believe.

You need CYA. Lets pretend you are a red head and you have a speedo on and go out to mow the lawn for 6 hours. NO SUNSCREEN! That sun is going to eat you alive right? Well, no CYA and it's burning up your CHLORINE! You need the CYA in the pool to protect your chlorine and right now, you have... NONE!!! It can be purchased at WalMart and it's called Stabilizer/Conditioner. I suggest you get some because your pool experience without it is not going to be fun.

Yeah well like I said before I gotta get what I can afford im not looking to go bankrupt over taking care of a pool

You're going to dump all of your money in this pool if you don't drop the attitude towards these very friendly members and start doing some reading and order a reliable test kit.

If you were going to bake a cake, would you want a good cook book or do you want to wing it and hope it turns out? Because right now, you are winging it and wasting all of your ingredients on MISTAKES, improper measurements and guessing! It's all adding up and before you know it, you'll have run your pump all summer and not even enjoyed the pool. What a waste of money because you didn't want to invest in a test kit that could perform all you and I need to know to help you clear your pool. Humph... well... ok. I'm going swimming today. :mrgreen:

Whatever I give up im tired of wasting my time no results

You're wasting your time because you expect us to do this for you. We don't make house calls. What we will do is point you in the right direction. You know, Take a horse to water... BUT you have to drink it! And you're not and I'm not allowed to dunk you.

Ive already shocked the pool with shocker have you not read the whole thread before commenting obviously not

I did read it and you sound frustrated because you keep going back to what the guy said... just do this and set it n forget it. You can not forget about a pool. Remember that good baby analogy? You have to feed it.

Ive gotten rid of that why can you just answer my question without confusing me more than I already am

Again... you are confused because you have not yet implemented the TFPC way. When you are ready, we are here.

But ive already shocked it its white all on the bottom so are you saying then I need to get the dead stuff off the bottom cause someone said let filter pump run 24x7 but its all on the bottom doesn't seem to be getting it out

You did not shock the pool. You gave it a cookie. It's looking for a full course meal.

And I've changed the filter after it killed all the algae

Again... it's looking for dinner. It wants brushed and vacuum'ed every day after eating. When you realize that you have to put some effort into this pool, then you can grab your raft and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

You're going to need:
Test Kit Comparison The TF100XL is the best kit for the money. You will get more reagents than the K2006 and it will get you through this summer and into next and you can reorder them as you use them up.

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Remember that horrific sunburn I painted a pic of? The amount of CYA in the pool, you should run a certain amount of FC. You can see their relationship as outlined here.
Chlorine CYA Chart

Shock Level and Maintain. You have not MAINTAINED your hungry pool. It is STARVING for chlorine and once you add it, it's going to be a HOG for awhile.
SLAMing Your Pool

I don't even know what kind of pool you have since you've gone off on a tangent. Have some coffee, wash you face, when you're ready to come back and be respectful of our help and advice and want to learn the TFPC way, please read this and tell us about your pool and equipment.
What we need to know to answer your questions

Hey Kevin, welcome to TFP,

First thing is....No pool is set, and forget. None of them are, fully automated, salt pools, old school pools, none of them at all. If that's what the guy said, he was lying to you. All pools need attention, testing, understanding, and a little time each day for something.

Shocking isn't a bag or ten bags, of something. It is a process that takes keeping the free chlorine at a high level for days, sometimes, many, many days. If we are to be able to help you, you will have to listen to what we are telling you and be patient, and learn what we are talking about. If you'll do that, you will get what you want. A crystal clear pool that's safe, enjoyable and a pleasure for everyone.

Totally understand but u all gotta keep in mind not everyone can afford 75 dollars or more for a test kit I gotta get what I can afford cause like said once I'll say again im not trying to break myself taking care of this all I wanted to know is which order I go to get everything in range and everyone wants to give me there opinion or what works for them well what works for you may not work for me. And was told to check the cya well I did what directions said and the black dot on bottom of tube didn't disappear so im thinking perhaps is none or it so low it don't register

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.