Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Could I have iron in my water?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Chrisman, Illinois (East Central Illinois)

Could I have iron in my water?

After reading about the nightmares people have had with iron in their pool water when filled from a well, I decided to test mine. I filled an empty ice cream tub with pool water ( this is a brand new pool, first fill) and dumped some bleach in the container to see if there was a reaction. There was no color change. No orange particles, no brown or orange discoloration...not even a flash of color.

Does this mean I don't have iron, or is there some sneaky form of iron that doesn't react to bleach?
    27' round Seaspray Evolution, AG, 17,100 gallons, Pump: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Dual Speed 1.5 hp, Filter: Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter, June 18, 2014, Kreepy Krauley Lil Shark, TF-100 test kit, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Could I have iron in my water?

Your experiment indicates that you have at most very low levels of iron. We can't rule out that you might have very low levels of iron which could in principal eventually build up to something which has an effect. There isn't any easy way to test for that. Still, worst case you will be able to replace water to get rid of the iron, if any iron does eventually accumulate. And most likely that will never come up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Chrisman, Illinois (East Central Illinois)

Re: Could I have iron in my water?

That's great news! Thanks for the quick reply.
    27' round Seaspray Evolution, AG, 17,100 gallons, Pump: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Dual Speed 1.5 hp, Filter: Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter, June 18, 2014, Kreepy Krauley Lil Shark, TF-100 test kit, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System