1st time owner, first test results

Aero

Jun 17, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Hi all,

I've been lurking on the forums here for a couple of weeks now soaking up some information. I ordered my first test kit, the K-2006, and ran my first test (results below). I've owned the pool for a few months and have foolishly taken the shotgun approach to algae control and sanitation. I have been using dichlor granules and triclor tabs for my chlorine. I have tons of the stuff after buying in bulk to 'save money' ... whoops! Anyway, my pool is somewhere between 30-35k gallons (diving pool) with a connected, but separate spa. I have a DE filter. I think I'm in ok shape overall considering, but one thing is off and I'm not sure if I messed up the test or not for the Cyanuric Acid. Also, my pool is in ground and has pebbletec walls/floor, so I'm guessing I should be using guidelines for plaster pools, as opposed to vinyl or fiberglass.

FC = 5.2ppm
CC = 0.4ppm
pH = 7.4 (a little lowish?)
TA = 110ppm (high-ish, but since I've been using di/trichlor it's supposed to be higher, right?)
CH = 270ppm
CA = ???

When I ran the CA test, it says to add the cloudy liquid until the black dot at the bottom of the test beaker disappears. The first graduation is 100. I only filled the thing up to about half way towards 100, so I'm guessing that isn't good, or I did the test improperly.

Thanks for any suggestions on how to approach my levels and what I may have done to the CA test.

Welcome to TFP!

You are right, that is not good. Likely the CYA is over 200ppm. Try the test again starting with half pool and half tap water and then double the reading to get a better idea.

The next step is going to be replacing a lot of water to get the CYA back in range.

And the reason you cya so high is because are using Dichlor and Trichlor. You need to stick to liquid chlorine.

Hi jb,

Thanks for replying. I performed the test as you said. I got roughly 90% of the way to the 100ppm mark this time. So, I presume then that I have roughly 220ppm of CYA?

Next is a serious newb question about safety. Is it unsafe to swim in the pool in its current state?

Now I need to find my drain and I suppose rent a pump? Is it considered wise to buy a pump? I'm not sure if I would need it often enough to own?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

At least ... could be closer to 300ppm.

Technically your FC is too low for your CYA level to be safe. If you CYA was 250ppm, then your FC would need to be at least 19ppm to be "safe" as far as adequate kill times for pathogens in the water.

You can rent pumps at Home Depot or someone up there got one at ACE. Or buy a cheap one at Harbor Freight. You need to be concerned about exposing your pool to the harsh sun and heat. Might be better to buy a small pump so that you can drain and fill at the same time.

What about using the pools pump and run to waste to drain off water turning off the skimmers and just leaving the floor drain open to the pump ??

I know I'll get slammed for this but you could also take a sample to wherever you have been just to confirm that CYA number. Yes pool stores are terrible for consistent results but just getting the kit and being a little unsure I'd just double check. When in doubt I'd trust your own readings over theirs but sometimes it's nice to have a comparison.

Cut and paste:
CYA test – CYA is an important additive to your pool. It stabilizes the Chlorine in your pool and prevents the Chlorine from being QUICKLY consumed by sunlight. Opinions vary, but a range of 30-70 seems to be right for most pools. This test is the most subjective and may take a time or two to “get” it. You will also use the most chemistry on this important test.

1. Fill the Red-capped CYA mixing bottle to the bottom line with pool water. Now, fill the bottle to the top line with R-0013. Mix, then wait at least 30 seconds. Shake once more.

2. Next, get the clear tube marked “C.A. VIEW TUBE” and, holding it at waist level, (so you can look down into the tube) slowly fill the view tube with the solution you have mixed. Keep filling until you can no longer see the black dot in the bottom of the tube. Note the fill level of the view tube. The gradation closest to the fill level indicates your CYA reading. Record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxaqoW-_MCs

JB,

You mention that I need to be concerned with exposure to sun and heat. Does that mean that the pebbletec needs to be covered with water at all times? What happens if the water level is low enough to expose it? As for pumps, is this adequate or do I need something with more power? http://www.harborfreight.com/16-horsepower-submersible-utility-pump-68422-8394.html

Frog,
The test procedure you copy/pasted is the same as the one described in my kit. I did it like in the video.

CYA count too high, draining starts today. What next?

After my initial tests I described here, I was unable to locate a clean-out on the property to drain to. I have a plumber scheduled to come out today and find one or install a new one. Once they're done, I'll get the pumping started. My question is, once I've turned over enough water, what is my next step? I want to get this thing started off right this time. Thanks!

Bonus question: Anyone in the Phoenix area find a great source for cheap bleach?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.