Review New Pool Design?

Jun 17, 2014
Austin, TX
I'd like your opinions on the design of a pool I am considering. Let me know the things I should be on the look out for. PB wants $90K. The pool includes a spa elevated 6 feet (to patio level - my house sits on a 6 foot foundation). Spa drains into pool down rock wall. From patio level, there is a double stairway, separated by a grotto, that leads to the pool and deck, 6 feet down. Yard has a further elevation change of 3-4 feet (so requires footers and elevated pool wall in back). Bedrock is 6 inches under the soil. The top of the grotto is flooded with bubblers so you can sit on top of it. Deck and coping is Oklahoma flagstone.

Here is a 3-D video fly-through of the design:
http://youtu.be/p2JD5SxE0MA

34' x 16' (19035 Gallons Estimated)
Perimeter 96.5 Linear Feet
Area 564 Sq.Ft.
Depth 4ft. x 5.5ft. x 4ft.
Spa raised 6 feet with zero-edge spillover
Grotto (sit on top, water fall, and bench underneath)
1 Bench Total 15 Sq. Ft, 2 tanning shelves Total 56 Sq. Ft
Salt Water
Steel 8" o.c. - rebar, 8" o.c. both ways
Steel in beam 1/2" rebar x 4

Plumbing and Equipment:
Pool Pipes - 2" schedule 40 pvc
Skimmers: 2 independently plumbed for optimum control
Returns: 8 looped for even pressure
No Main Drain
Pump � Variable Speed Hayward and Water Feature Pump
Cleaner �Hayward Shark Vac
1 Auto Fill Valve
Install Vacuum Breaker(s) at Hose Bib(s)
(4) Bubblers

Deck and Masonry:
Coping � Oklahoma Flagstone Oklahoma Flagstone Peach Buff or Taupe
New Pool deck 730 Sq Ft. in OK Peach
Turndown as needed rubbed concrete
172 Sq. Ft. Stone Steps

Univ Color Logic LED (Network) Light in pool and 1 Univ Color Logic LED (Network) Light in Spa
PS8 Controller

Plaster: Sunstone Pearl Color: St. Croix

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

Welcome! I really like the design. From the looks of living with three women, 90K is cheap ;). Also that duck will cause a mess so I would get rid of him :). Honestly, not sure about that price. It is quite expensive but with that drop I am not surprised.

Welcome! I really like the design. From the looks of living with three women, 90K is cheap ;). Also that duck will cause a mess so I would get rid of him :). Honestly, not sure about that price. It is quite expensive but with that drop I am not surprised.

Yeah, by my calcs, the drop is costing me around $25K, with the elevated spa, lots of stairs, all the planters and of course the grotto, which actually is a brilliant piece of design synergy since you'd have to build stairs there anyway.

I am worried about you using Oklahoma stone with salt water. Lots of reports of that being a problem here in Texas. Don't get me wrong, you'd have to take my salt system from me by prying it from my cold, dead hands, but I don't have any stone.

I don't see a heater for your spa?

Here are some updated specs from the PB. Now we are $96K...

Pool:
35'9" x 16'8" (19,609 Gallons Estimated)
Perimeter 96’10” Linear Feet, Area 581 Sq.Ft.
Depth 4ft. x 5.5ft. x 4ft.
1 Bench Total 15 Sq. Ft, 2 Beaches Total 56 Sq. Ft

Excavation and forming
Excavate and form pool shell
Shell walls to be 8" ‐ 10” thick with 12” bond beam
Rock excavation – no extra charge

Steel & Gunite
Steel 8” o.c. ‐ rebar – 8” o.c. both ways
Steel in beam 1/2” rebar x 4
California style ‐ upgraded gunite with fiber mesh

Plumbing and Equipment
Pool Pipes – 2” schedule 40 pvc
Skimmers: 2 independently plumbed for optimum control
Returns: 8 looped for even pressure
No Main Drain
Pump – Variable Speed Hayward and Water Feature Pump (SP3400VSP)
Cleaner –Hayward Shark Vac with Cart (RC9742)
1 Auto Fill Valve (Pool Miser PMI‐MP101)
Install Vacuum Breaker(s) at Hose Bib(s)
(4) Bubblers ( 3 on the Grotto ledge, 1 on Entry Beach) Bubbler and spill over pump (Hayward SP2315)

Spa
7'10"’Horseshoe shaped with Hayward 400k BTU Heater (H400fd)
6 Jets Massage Waterway Pulzar jets ( 2106170 or 2106510 )
2 flush mounted floor jets for foot massage.
6 ft. Spillover
Blower‐ Air Slencer (ASF‐1636120f), Hayward Pump (SP‐3010X15AZ)

Deck and Masonry
Coping – Oklahoma Flagstone Oklahoma Flagstone Hickory
New Pool deck 730 Sq Ft. in Oklahoma Flagstone Oklahoma Flagstone Hickory
Turndown as needed rubbed concrete
172 Sq. Ft. Stone Steps ( includes Tread and raisers )
Run pipes from down spouts for

Tile
Standard tile for pool icluded
Brown tile ‐ CDS IRI CAR and CDS IRI CAR 6 upgrade add $210.24 Deco tile is the only upgrade
Blue Tiles ‐ CDS STAR SIE and MAS DS 650 upgrade add $911.52 Both Tiles are an upgrade.

Sanitizing
Hayward Salt system ( T‐9)
Hayward Sence and Dispence system ( AQL‐CEM3‐120 ), (AQL‐CHEM)
Filter‐ Hayward Cartridge (C4030)

Electric
Connect all equipment to panel box and run one electrical outlet to lower deck
Univ Color Logic LED (Network) pool light & 1 Univ Color Logic LED (Network) spa light (LS‐CUN11150
PS8 Controller ( AQL‐PS8 ), Aqua pod Remote (AQL2‐POD) Aqua Connect (AQ‐CO)
Install door alarm(s) leading to the pool yard

Plaster
CLI Sunstone Pearl Color: St. Croix

Just a few thoughts...

Your filter is "properly" oversized. Why not also go up to the T-15 salt cell? Fairly small upgrade price and it will run at a much lower percentage extending the life significantly or so it is believed.

One pool light will not be very bright on many of the colors with your dimensions.

All the goodies in your project sound fun!

Love your design. With your elevation change, have you thought of doing an infinity pool?

Thanks for the suggestion of an infinity edge. Yes, the elevation makes it doable, but I have decided against it because 1) I would't be able to get the infinity "look" from inside the house because the pool is 6 feet lower than the house, 2) the view from the pool itself is of a bunch of trees that are fairly nearby, 3) I am getting an infinity effect from the hot tub and 4) cost.

- - - Updated - - -

PB said $6-8K minimum.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With that much elevation drop, that price seems pretty reasonable.

I am taking the gamble on salt water with stone. I did, however, buy some super duty 3M sealant specifically made for stone in salt water pools. It's about $150 / gallon but it works well so far....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.