Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just another 60's???? pool resurection

1. Back To Top    #1

Just another 60's???? pool resurection

Well, I guess it's time for me to stop hijacking Jimbo's thread and make my own.

Here is what I started over in Jimbo's thread along with a couple pics:

I guess I'm not the only crazy person in SoCal digging out a 1960's pool. I bought a house in November that has an old Blue Haven pool in the back yard. It was covered up with astroturf and looked like a putting green. I just got done digging it out this weekend and I'll be getting quotes for coping, tile, plaster, and deck work next week. It looks like my pool was not filled in "by permit" though because there are no holes and it looks in good shape other than some damage to the steps and coping. As far as I'm concerned by pool was just REALLY DIRTY and just needed to be cleaned and some remodeling done.

Here are some pics:
    pool4.jpg
    pool5.jpg
    pool7.jpg
    pool1.jpg

I haven't made any physical progress on the pool but I do have a couple quotes and a few questions for the experts:

Builder says he only uses Pentair equipment and he has a VS pump (need to get the HP) installed for $1,450. Does this sound reasonable?

I want to reuse my pool light. If I can find the original cable and verify proper grounding can I throw in a new LED bulb and go from there?
    (I've been an electrician for twenty years so I understand grounding and GFCI's very well)

What would a recommendation be for a good LED bulb that does all the color changes my wife wants?

Builder wants to go with a 60 Sqft DE filter and says that this size is only $100 more (can't remember other size) and will cut down on maintenance. Cost was $975

Also, the salt water set-up is $1250 upgrade. Is this worth it?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just another 60's???? pool resurection

Subscribing... can't wait to see how it turns out.

Mac.Dblues and ProfessorDaisy's Lower Arkansas Pool Install
    Intex UltraFrame 20ft x 52in deep, 9,400 Gallons / Approx 78,500 lbs, Intex 1600 GPH, 14" sand filter, Hayward Dyna-Skim SP1091LX, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer
    First Fill May 2014, Deck finished June 2014, Mods happening probably on a continuous basis. Stay tuned.....

3. Back To Top    #3

I assume you electrical costs are fairly high, but you have a basic pool with no water features etc that would require the use of the large VS pumps. You could buy a small 2-speed pump for half the cost of the VS pump. It may be many many years before a VS pump would save more in power over the 2-speed to offset the initial cost.

Bigger the filter the better ... I would go with the 60sqft if you are going with DE.

SWG are about added convenience. They will not likely save you any money in the long run. The Pentair SWGs have some limitations if you do not have their automation system as well (which you do not need).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Right on mike. I'm an electrician too. I plan to run all the lines myself if I can.
    Also, you should ask your pool builder if you can supply your own equipment. You can get it a lot cheaper on the internet but might need him to install for warranty reasons...
    -Jimbo- My pool was full of dirt and trees. Now it's full of water and children!
    20k gallon inground pool, 18" raised spa 7' round, 8 jets, 3" spa plumbing. Pentair intelliflo 3hp vsp, Easy touch 4 w/ ic 40, CCP 420 cartridge filter, Raypak 407a w/ cupro nickel, Screen logic 2, Pentair intelliph, spa side remote, Pentair 5g color lights pool and spa, TF-100 test kit with speed stir and Dolphin Oasis Z5

5. Back To Top    #5

+1 on jblizzle's comments. 2-speed motor is all of the benefit of variable speed for 1/2 the cost and go big on the filter.

If the builder can only get Pentair SWG, and won't install one you supply, you can hold off and install one yourself. It only took me an afternoon and I'm not an electrician (I'm an electrical engineer, which I am sure you know means that I am useless).
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mac.dblues View Post
    Subscribing... can't wait to see how it turns out.
    oh yeahhhhhhh.. another fun one to watch!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

If you had SDG&E I would say go VS. But since you don't and have a simple pool a 2 speed would be adequate. If you plan to add water features, a slide, fountains or solar then you should think about a VS.

Order the Pentair and Jandy LED lights off the internet and see if they fit in your niche. I would probably stay with Pentair. If your PB purchase 3 or more Pentair products at a time then the warranty is usually extended. The prices you are being quoted are fair, but if you are buying a package he should cut the package price.

How is the conduit from the light niche to the junction box?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I assume you electrical costs are fairly high, but you have a basic pool with no water features etc that would require the use of the large VS pumps. You could buy a small 2-speed pump for half the cost of the VS pump. It may be many many years before a VS pump would save more in power over the 2-speed to offset the initial cost.
    I thought about the cost but I really like the idea of a VS pump for a few reasons:

I can adjust flow for future added water features
    I hate listening to my neighbors loud pool pump.
    Being in the power industry I like the reliability and long service life of a permanent magnet sealed motor(and the savings don't hurt).
    If I decide to add additional equipment this pump can be integrated pretty easily(I do DCS/PLC controls so I love to automate stuff).

Having said all that,I'm waiting for the builder to get back with me on the size pump he is recommending before I make a final decision.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    If you had SDG&E I would say go VS. But since you don't and have a simple pool a 2 speed would be adequate. If you plan to add water features, a slide, fountains or solar then you should think about a VS.

Order the Pentair and Jandy LED lights off the internet and see if they fit in your niche. I would probably stay with Pentair. If your PB purchase 3 or more Pentair products at a time then the warranty is usually extended. The prices you are being quoted are fair, but if you are buying a package he should cut the package price.

How is the conduit from the light niche to the junction box?
    I don't know yet because I have been working around the clock on a project at work and won't have time to open everything up until probably the end of the month. Worst case I'll dig up the conduit and replace whatever I need to.

9. Back To Top    #9

Pentair only really has 2 VS pump sizes. A big 3HP and a small 1.5hp Superflo that has limited functionality. Forget the VF or i1.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Pentair only really has 2 VS pump sizes. A big 3HP and a small 1.5hp Superflo that has limited functionality. Forget the VF or i1.
    PB is saying he only uses the Pentair VS plus. He oversizes the filter and the pump for future water features. Since I am looking at a solar heater set-up in the future it seems like a little bit less overkill.

11. Back To Top    #11

Awesome!
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Any new pics
    Intex Ultra frame 20" x 48"
    SWG and sand filter
    deck - ladder is going away after this summer
    Going to steps hopefully in a few weeks,
    * Little bit paradise in the country *

13. Back To Top    #13

In for the fun! Can't wait to see and hear all about this one!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

The prices seem a little high - but maybe you can negotiate on the installation costs? For reference, the Pentair Intelliflo (which I assume he is referencing) can be bought for about $840, shipped, which means installation would be costing you a touch over $600.

http://www.backyardpoolsuperstore.co...FQqFfgod10MAWg

Does the salt water upgrade (and I don't know which system he is going with) price include installation? If he is sticking with all Pentair products, it's likely he will be going with either an IC20 or IC40. From what I've gathered on this forum, most people recommend the IC40 setup. They will need to be paired up with a power center, the combo can be found here for $745 shipped:

IC40:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentair-Inte...item3a79abb20b

The Pentair Intellibrites are a sweet color changing LED light setup. My neighbor has them paired with this controller, and it's a slick setup - he can change between 12 different settings (solid color or light show). I'll be going with them when my build starts. They are on the expensive side, but make a nice addition.
    Controller:
    http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Penta...FUhufgodj18AsA

I understand the contractor has to make a living, and don't want to undercut him, but maybe you can have him price match a few things and then work out labor rates from there. I would also speak with him about the warranty of the parts. Pentair offers a 3 year warranty on new parts IF you have 3 of their products being installed. Pump, filter, and one other product. I would firm that up with your contractor to make sure you qualify.

Good luck!
    IG gunite 32 x 18 on a bachelor budget! Click Here To See

15. Back To Top    #15

looks great good luck
    1971 Gunite 31x16 IG Kidney shape pool approx 18000 Gallons
    EcoFinish Blue Lagoon
    Sta-rite System3 S7M120 Cartridge Filter
    A.O. Smith 3/4 HP motor, starite pump
    TF100 test kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Hey mike, according to the last guy here that company built lots of pools and not all of them well. Just threw them in. You may also want to check for any rust marks indicating a low level of gunite above the rebar which will cause discoloration of plaster down the road at least. Just a heads up while you still have a chance to repair if necessary.

17. Back To Top    #17

What I heard was that their older pools weren't bad but that the quality went downhill as the company got real big. The only rust spot I have is where there was a big gouge that went into the gunite a little ways. I am actually doing a walk through with a builder tomorrow night to figure out the tile pattern and equipment location. I was in Houston for two weeks and just got back late Friday so I haven't made any progress except negotiating with builders. I did start trenching this weekend for the electrical. This is one part that I am doing myself. I am going to add a bigger than needed sub panel for some additional power at the equipment pad. It's been a long time since I was an apprentice and had to dig trenches. I forgot how much it sucks!!!

18. Back To Top    #18

Just breezed through this thread quick.
    I did my own electrical on my pool. We went with a Haywood
    Pro-logic panel with the salt cell. Panel with cell was around $1100 online.
    The panel can also control heaters, valves (solar), lighting, etc.
    25k IG vinyl SWG Haywood 4830de 1.5hp TF-100

19. Back To Top    #19

100 amps should be good. Just make sure you get everything bonded. ( pool shell rebar, any in the decking and basically anything metal near the pool) and of course all equipment grounded as well.
    -Jimbo- My pool was full of dirt and trees. Now it's full of water and children!
    20k gallon inground pool, 18" raised spa 7' round, 8 jets, 3" spa plumbing. Pentair intelliflo 3hp vsp, Easy touch 4 w/ ic 40, CCP 420 cartridge filter, Raypak 407a w/ cupro nickel, Screen logic 2, Pentair intelliph, spa side remote, Pentair 5g color lights pool and spa, TF-100 test kit with speed stir and Dolphin Oasis Z5

20. Back To Top    #20

We finally got started on the rebuild this week. The PB got the tile, plaster, some coping, and some of the decking removed this week. He also plans to get the plumbing done this week and should be doing tile, plaster and setting the equipment next week.

Here are a few quick pics:

My pool was full of dirt, astro-turf, fish, and a putting green.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast