Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No Free Chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

No Free Chlorine?

ok, It rained terribly last week and my covered pool developed pink slime. I shocked the **** out of it and it looks like i got it all - no more pink, just some white residue to be vacuumed. However, I am getting good reading on all fronts including CYA and Total chlorine, but I am not showing any Free Chlorine. PH and Alkalinity are fine too. Granted this is with a test strip, but it still makes no sense that the FC would not register.

To be clear i did not use just shock - my pool store recommended an algecide so the bio film should be gone.

Any thoughts? As an aside, i had installed a chlorinator rather than dropping tabs in the skimmer (as I had been recommended to do) The chlorine is being consumed in the skimmer, so i assume it is working. For good measure I added tabs to the skimmer during the pink slime removal just to be sure I was adding more than enough chlorine.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: No Free Chlorine?

If the FC is that high it could be bleaching the test strip out. Save yourself heartache, buy a good,test kit and ditch the pool store. While there are a few honest stores,out there they are few and far between.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sacramento, CA

Re: No Free Chlorine?

You say you have been reading here. If so you know that test strips are not reliable (nor is pool store testing). Test Kits Compared

Have you read the SLAM process?
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock ('s a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator