Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Floating Weirs?

1. Back To Top    #1

Floating Weirs?

Having problems with old damaged Hayward skimmer weir doors...A pool repair guy said to put in a floating weir/basket into the existing skimmer basket area and forget the doors! Anyone familiar with this set up and whether it works?
    33,000 gals, DE, IG, plaster, Purex Triton FNSP 60 filter, Pentair Super Flo 2hp, Pentair MinMax Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Floating Weirs?

Yeap, that is how mine is set up.
    Works fine. It's a two piece setup, the basket and the weir, the weir fits into the basket. Make sure your skimmer basket is deep enough.

Floating Weir: http://www.sunplay.com/Pentair-Skimm...80-038-000.htm
    Basket: http://www.sunplay.com/Pentair-Skimm...80-037-000.htm

No connection to the store. Just a quick google search to show pictures.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry to be a pain, but when the doors are working properly it creates a "current" of water that sucks everything into the skimmer from the surface; with just a basket in there (and no doors) there is no such "current" and everything just stays in the pool....am I missing something? Would this product magically create the current I am describing by itself?
    33,000 gals, DE, IG, plaster, Purex Triton FNSP 60 filter, Pentair Super Flo 2hp, Pentair MinMax Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

The floating Weir creates an accelerated current, just like a Door Weir, by drawing a current of water over a slightly elevated edge. It keeps the crape from floating back into the pool because the Weir is higher than the basket, and gets a little higher when the pump shuts off.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

5. Back To Top    #5

Hello,
    I can't compare, when I got my pool it came with the floating weir. It does the job, I have a 2 speed pump and it runs 90% on low, and it works. The floating weir part creates the "surface current", and the basket catches the floating debris. It's pretty efficient.

Floating weir.jpg

You'll need to check the opening size to make sure the basket fits. The solid part is the floating weir it rides in the basket. The part numbers cross reference to the part that was specified in the other post. Look at the bottom of the web page that the links are on.

The depth of the skimmer need to be deeper than 7 3/4" and the opening across where the basket sits, should be round and larger than 7 1/2" and smaller than 8 7/16".

Depending on the amount of debris you get in your pool (leaves/twings) will determine how often you'll need to empty the basket.

Hope that helps. I you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

Also depending if where the weir door attaches isn't broke you might be able to get a replacement weir door.
    http://www.inyopools.com/pool_parts_oem_weirs.aspx

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    Hello,
    I can't compare, when I got my pool it came with the floating weir. It does the job, I have a 2 speed pump and it runs 90% on low, and it works. The floating weir part creates the "surface current", and the basket catches the floating debris. It's pretty efficient.

Floating weir.jpg

You'll need to check the opening size to make sure the basket fits. The solid part is the floating weir it rides in the basket. The part numbers cross reference to the part that was specified in the other post. Look at the bottom of the web page that the links are on.

The depth of the skimmer need to be deeper than 7 3/4" and the opening across where the basket sits, should be round and larger than 7 1/2" and smaller than 8 7/16".

Depending on the amount of debris you get in your pool (leaves/twings) will determine how often you'll need to empty the basket.

Hope that helps. I you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.
    I ultimately found out that my skimmer is a Pentair S20 Admiral with the weir doors attached to permanently mounted pins in the side walls. There is no way to properly put a replacement weir door into that design (my saga is on a separate thread and I am going to post this there as well to help others); however the A&S pool guy who gave me the skimmer info from my 1999 records, said try to put the door in backwards and although not perfect it will work for the most part. Did that (duh!!) and it worked! Unfortunately, someone knocked off one of the permanent mounting pins on the other skimmer so am going to try this circular weir design in that skimmer. I will then see which works best and go from there...whew!!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the owners manual http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/AdmiralS20OM.pdf page 3
    They do make a weir/basket that fits:
    16 85001200 Floating weir, basket
    18 85000100 Basket

Actually it looks the the links I posted earlier are the exact ones.

You'll want both pieces the basket and the weir.

9. Back To Top    #9

Which one worked better in the end?

10. Back To Top    #10

Mine Weir was broken when I bought my old house 11 years ago. I got a weir with spring loaded pins on each side and it was still working when we sold the house this month.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.