Raising CYA and shocking

Hello:

Test results
CC .5
FC 5.5
PH 7.5
TA 60
CYA 0

I have to raise my CYA from what I imagine to be 0, to 70 (filled the tube all the way to the top and can still see a blurry black dot)

I have a full sun all day long situation and my CYA should be, and was last year, 70.

The PoolMath chart says I need to add 239 oz of dry stabilizer.

I still have to shock (because I have some algae because my chlorine won't hold because my CA is 0)..........do I have to wait until the stabilizer has been in for a week and I can get a true reading before I can continue to shock?

Thanks

Nope.

Start the SLAM process. With zero CYA, you target 10 FC. Then add enough stabilizer to get to 30 CYA and put that in the sock. And then target 12 FC for the SLAM process, assuming you have the 30 CYA already. If the pool is green, it won't stay at 12 for long. Don't delay. Every minute you wait, the algae grows more.

OK i'm either doing something wrong, my test kit needs new chems, (just purchased last summer) or the reading is correct and my equipment and liner are going to disintegrate:

I raised my CYA to 60 (did it before I read your above recommend of 30) then added bleach to bring up to 10 based upon my then 5.5 reading. That was last evening around 6PM.

This morning at 8AM, FC level at 22! Obviously I did not add anything.

Reading just now at 6PM the FC reading went up to 24.5!

Any logical explanation for this?

Oh, and BTW it's mustard algae I'm dealing with so this high could be a good thing since I already was trying to shock at normal levels and couldn't hold it to 10 since the CYA was non existent. So...........

HELP!

I am the only one taking care of the pool and I'l doing the test as usual: collecting water in the chlorine only tube, from the deep end down below a foot (as far down as my arm can go) adding one heaping spoon of R-0870 swirling with my auto swirl, adding one drop at a time of R-8071. This morning my FC is 26.

Crazy.

I'm adding bunch of water to vacuum today anyway, hopefully that will help.

Wolud over raising the CYA help cause this??

Raising CYA will not raise FC.

You mentioned you wanted to go to 60-70 for CYA. This is unusually high unless you are using a SWG. Do you have a SWG, and if so is it running? That would explain the rise in FC if so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.