My Old Intex vs New Polygroup Pro Pool

unkyjoe

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2013
Seguin TX
Just wanted to show some differences in the Intex vs Polygroup Pro series of pools for those of you who are curious.

I will keep this album updated so you can see the progress of the install. Wish me luck.

jtnvh4.jpg

Here you can see the new horizontal beam on the left and the orig Intex beam on the right, even though it is smaller in circumference it is a heavier grade of steel than the Intex.

24fe3ax.jpg

Top view.

xfxdtu.jpg

Water Level

Last edited:
Yes the water level is very "Redneck" as we say in Texas, but this thing is accurate I cant see the hump in the ground that my other half can, but with this thing it is clear I had a 4 inch rise on one side of the dig, we are slowly knocking it down with a Tiller about an inch at a time until we get it all within an inch of level.

Then we will have the "crusher run" brought in and actually level that.

Good luck unkyjoe! If you could post the pics to the forum, that would be great! They are so small on the link you provided. Thanks.

So my neighbor saw me dealing with the hole and suggested I wet the ground, it serves to make it easier to dig, and since water seeks its own level it shows me exactly where the high and low points are in the circle.

96ep2d.jpg

2a5lqjd.jpg

Funny how you get caught up in doing something and dont remember the most basic things :)

I hate leveling and it's the most important job!

Not much new to report, I can only go outside after 7:30pm to level the base materials, and then can only work an hour at a time, I have managed to level the circumfrence of the pool so far and it is spot on, now to drag more material into the middle of the spot and level this with the outside edges to make a smooth and level bottom for the pool. This stuff when compacted is like cement and I am glad I went this route as it is much easier to manage that the native soil. Wednesday my Rhino pad will be here and we should be able to put the pool up then. I will post pics once all the leveling is done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
efo0lf.jpg

It's level baby!

j8fgau.jpg

Level in the middle as well.

291eww1.jpg

Ground cloth laid out and liner ready to be installed.

x5nxgy.jpg

Liner and rails laid out, ready to install the legs.

219z38j.jpg

Pool is up, my other half is spreading out the wrinkles.

o86qtv.jpg

Filling the pool.

One post is about 1/4 inch out of level, other than that this thing is spot on, now to wait for it to fill, install the skimmer, pump, and return, balance the chems and ready to swim. If I can do it so can you!

AWESOME! Great job UnkyJoe!!! You did it! Hope you enjoy the pool!!! :cool:

Greetings again, year 2 of my polygroup pool, the time spent leveling and using the material I did for a base paid off, pool is still level, I left it up over the short winter we have here in South Texas, it was a green swamp, but that is due to the filter finally biting the dust.

I ordered a new pump and filter, the Intex 2800GPH unit with a 14" filter, a little smaller than my hayward filter but it still should do the job.
I also bought a hyaward auqa bug pool cleaner. I am tired of vacumming the pool.
I will get back on my chemical care once the new pump arrives tommarow.

Please learn this lesson, make sure the pool base is setup properly, it is time consuming but will pay off years down the road.

I have to ask, is the liner noticably better than the standard Intex you replaced this with? I am at year 3 with my 14' Ultra set up her just outside of Oklahoma City. I keep mine covered unless it is being used so I don't have to clean much.

Bob

The liners seem to be the same quality between the pool I have now "Summer Escapes" and the Intex I had that blew over in the wind after emptying it.

I actually thought we bought another Intex pool, but when we got it home I knew better, it all worked out as I like this one better.

Just got my pump and filter all hooked up and started the SLAM process to kill whatever is living in it, I went from green to cloudy blue even with the bad filter before it gave up, now I am blue and cloudy.

That and it comes with a Skimmer, if you look on the net people complain about the build quality of the PolyGroup "also called Summer Escapes" but I actually think the frame on this one is more sound, and so does my neighbor, he is a welder and says the steel on the PolyGroup is quite a bit thicker than the old Intex I had, you can compare the posts and the PolyGroup is heavier. Time will tell on this, but it has been up nearly a year and no leaks or seam issues. I have a feeling those complaining did not go to the trouble to make sure their pools were level.

I have this exact pool and the pump is a POS, I bought the index sand/salt combo. I need help with hooking it up! I bought the adaptor that goes where old impeller style pump goes but new intex sand filter system it is all threaded much bigger hoses!
My kids do not understand this problem!! thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.