Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slight pool heater problem.

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Slight pool heater problem.

Hello again. I have a Jandy Lite 2 heater that was set up to be used as a dumb switch because something with the temperature sensor or switch was contently failing.
    This was great last year, but now the heater is not starting up all the time when we switch it on. I think it might be the rocker switch because if we flip it off and on a couple times it kicks on.
    Any other ideas on the possible issue or where to get one that's cheap?

Thanks in advance.

New issue starting at post 6.
    Last edited by 1031982; 07-16-2014 at 06:02 PM. Reason: New issue notification.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Slight pool heater problem.

To test you can remove the rocker switch and jumper the two ends together. If it lights up, you have your answer, replace rocker switch.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

Guess I'll have to go get some wire and a LED.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

You don't need an LED. Just jump the two ends together and if it fires up, you have your answer.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

It fired up almost instantly. Where can I get a new switch inexpensively?

6. Back To Top    #6

Hello, got a new problem with the heater. The pilot light won't stay light.
    Every time I let the knob rise up to set it "on" the pilot goes out before I can turn the knob. If I continue to hold the knob down in pilot mode, it's fine.
    Any advise? I would like to avoid calling someone if possible.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Pilot generator is bad but to double check, use a volt meter set to milivolt to check the voltage that it is generating. If it not generating at least 450mv, it won't be enough to keep the pilot portion of the gas valve open.
    Paul

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, I had to get a volt meter, before I go to get a reading, should I do this cold or light the pilot and hold the gas open with the flame for a minute before getting a reading?

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

You have to get the reading while holding down the knob on the gas valve. That reading has to be over 450 minimum in order for the pilot portion of the valve to keep the pilot lit.
    Paul

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, that's it. I'm only getting .003mv. So, I'm calling someone to swap it out as I don't want to mes up with the gas line.
    Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    You have to get the reading while holding down the knob on the gas valve. That reading has to be over 450 minimum in order for the pilot portion of the valve to keep the pilot lit.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

You had the meter set to millivolts right? Not volts.
    Paul

12. Back To Top    #12

Ya, on volts it didn't register anything.