New in-ground in swampy Louisiana. Build is ON!!!

Re: New in-ground in swampy Louisiana. I think we have a builder!

Well, the deed is done. We have signed on the dotted line. Hopefully our dig will be able to start the third week in August.

We went to see a couple of completed pools with the builder today before we signed the contract, and I was very pleased with what I saw. Mainly that the plumbing was beautifully neat and organized at the equipment pads. There's a builder around here that does equipment pads like he's trying to win a twister championship. I was most relieved to find out, its not the guy we are hiring. LOL. The finish and tile work all looked very nice.

Anyway, I'll resurrect this thread next month hopefully with pictures of my build as it happens.

Whoop whoop. We have a start. I was so happy yesterday, I'm not sure if its because they've started building my pool or that I actually had someone else doing construction work on my property that wasn't me....

Obligatory before picture

4fRgdDb.jpg

Marked out

QXVW3DQ.jpg

The ramshackle shed next to the pool has had a major overhaul courtesy of yours truly with assistance from the husband. Its still in progress, but I had to get the back side complete which it is - because thats where my equipment pad is going. I also needed to finish putting back the wiring before finishing the trim, since I think the electrician will run power through the building to the pad on the back and I want to be out of his way. So the outside is still a bit of a work in progress.

WWoIznF.jpg

I still need to finish painting the back wall of my house. We repainted last year and ran out of paint for the back wall of the garage...and then got lazy. :oops: My goal is to have at least everything painted and looking good from the outside - the back of the house, the studio building (the old shed) and we have a smaller shed for storage in the back yard too. Its all got to look done, so that when I'm sitting in my new pool I'm not staring at projects I need to get out of the pool to do. So I have no guilt trips for staying floating just a little bit longer...

Anyway, the crew started yesterday putting in form boards

NkttAmt.jpg

wm7wYqj.jpg

They were supposed to come and dig today - but we had some rain last night and apparently the dig company wants to delay a day. There was a lot of rain in the area yesterday - but the heavy stuff bypassed us completely. Its been raining in the area all last week, but at my house we've had no rain - its all been going around us and my yard is pretty dry, but whatever. It would have been nice if they could have gotten someone out to see if they could dig or not. I got an email at 5am saying there was a 70% chance of rain and rain on the radar and they want to delay till tomorrow for 'safety' reasons. Uh huh. Yep. Except I was up at 5am and I hopped straight on the NWS website. Its actually a 40% chance and clear skies. There wasn't any rain on the radar. The stupid thing is I'm totally cool with them saying they don't want to haul their equipment all the way down to my property only to find out it might be too wet to actually dig. Or that they are behind, because they got rained out somewhere else in the area yesterday. (Which is highly likely). I'm reasonable, but I really don't like the feeling someone isn't being all that straight with me, and its not like you can argue it because they pulled the 'safety' card. I really think that based on how much rain there's been in the area over the last week or so, they think its a lot wetter than it is, and don't want to be argued into coming to check when they are sure (based on the fact it rained cats and dogs where they've been) that they are right. Oh, but it does make my resolution to be a flexible and chilled homeowner who is going to roll it, instead of my usual type A, crazy obsessive nut job demeanor, about this project hard to follow through with. But I'm trying. It took me an hour to reply to the 5am email, to the point I could make it sound like I was almost cool with it.

Anyway enough venting. At least the guys that did the form boards seemed to do a terrific job. They had a fine toy, erm, I mean laser remote transit that I totally want. They used the heck out of it too. My form boards are level. Do you hear me. LEVEL. I was working on the studio, next to the pool site, and those guys were fastidious about getting their boards perfect. I'm impressed. So far so good.

Okay, so they are coming to dig today. Of course its 50% chance of rain :roll eyes: with 60% chances heading in the weekend. You know with last week being bone friggin dry and all. At least at my house. I think everywhere else in the area got drenched. But you know I've come to the conclusion, here in Louisiana, I don't think they know how to build a pool on dry land, in the same way they don't know how to drive sober....which reminds me...When is it too early to start drinking? Because its about 6.30am here and I'm tempted.

Oh, heck. We got bumped AGAIN. Apparently the drop off site for the dirt is too muddy. So yay on an excuse I can believe, and boo on getting delayed again. I'm fairly sure we won't be digging tomorrow either. There's a 50% chance of rain. Which around here basically translates to its definitely raining. I'd like to know how the drop off site will get magically drier with more rain.
Plus I noticed my spa height is too low. The drawing has it at +12, my contract lists it at +18, we had a bunch of back and forth over the width of the steps in the drawing and I completely missed the spa height discrepancy. I'm hoping they can come and fix it before they dig, and since they aren't going to dig today, I have nothing else to do today but sit and worry about it. Because you know, thats how I am. I think I'm going to bypass the alcohol and go straight for the xanax and I don't even have a hole in the ground yet. This is why I didn't owner build. I'd have given myself a stroke already.

Love your posts Beaded biker - and the work you have done so far on the shed. I can't wait to hear how you keep the pool builder in line! I really like simple geometric lines in the pool. Personally, you probably would do better with an owner build as far as needing Xanax goes (says the person with a glass of wine next to the key board). Good luck with the build, and the rain. I look forward to watching your build. - Karen

Some more pictures from today.

NJ211Kb.jpg

qjkEjdU.jpg

UQqqkgS.jpg

phrKk4v.jpg

They rocked and rolled today. The pool was dug in about 4 hours. Really efficient operation. Looks really good. Looks so level, especially the sun shelf, and there was a lot of measuring going on, so I'm thinking it probably is!. I was working on my future studio all day, so I got to see a lot of what they were doing. It was fascinating. They were running pipes in the deep end while they were still digging the shallow end. I'm very impressed. Couple of tiny snafus - the digger hit a pipe bib and broke it, but I had a plumber out within and hour and the PB covered it, even though he apparently had someone on call. The digging company who did it, told me to call a plumber so I did. And my deep end bench got run on the wrong wall, but to my enormous surprise, I'm not even bothered. It looks just as good on the side. I decided yesterday I was going to be chilled about this whole deal, and if I couldn't be chilled I'd lie, say I was and take a Xanax. LOL. I only care that its structurally sound and built well, and so far I'm impressed (and yeah, thats not easy).
The rebar going in looks really neat and is well stood off from the wall. They hammered a bunch of rebar in the walls to keep it stood off. And its all so beautifully neat the part they've finished so far. I asked them about using dobies on the bottom, because they hadn't (yet) and they said they'll put them in tomorrow - mainly because I have an enormous pile of half bricks that were left here from the previous owner - we dug them out of a berm we were leveling. If they can use them for dobies, it would be a win, because I keep forgetting to throw them in the bulk trash pick up and getting rid of them, would be awesome. About the only thing that they haven't done that I've seen on other builds on TFP is put rebar around the skimmers. I just don't think any of the builders around here normally do it. I could ask them to, but I'm wondering how really necessary it is. I'm erring on the side of to asking them to, because I'm not having any deck, and I think it will give it better support next to the grass.

We have the bonding inspection tomorrow - I think its about the only inspection we get. They are all really nervous about it, because my city is apparently the strictest in the area - about how things are done. Still just one inspection, I don't even think there is another inspection when they hook up the electrical panel. Gotta love Louisiana.

My back yard does somewhat resemble a war zone though. We had them spread quite a bit of dirt under our tree to help fill in some low spots and because you can't do too much at one time to an oak for fear of shocking it, we have a big pile of dirt we can use over the coming months to keep raising low patches. Our neighbor got to get almost all the rest of the dirt in his empty lot - he is stoked because they did a great job of filling all the low spots and spreading it out nicely, and it worked out awesome for us, because they farm that was supposed to get the dirt was pretty inaccessible because it rained so much yesterday. Plus their dump truck had to drop of the dirt next door instead, so the whole thing went so much faster.

sfoAZoD.jpg

So, its all go, and we are scheduled for Monday for gunite. They have a lot to do between then and now. There's also rain forecast for Saturday, so they are bringing in a pump tomorrow just in case, and we'll be crossing everything we have for dry weather. I'm still thoroughly impressed with my pool builder so far, and I think tomorrow I get to go shopping for coping and tile. This girl, she loves shopping, especially for bling bling. Even if its bling bling for the pool. I'm also totally fed up with playing carpenter, in the heat. It really really sucks working in my future studio, with no electricity and no a/c in August in a swamp. I'm just saying. I can put on pretty clothes that don't have paint all over them and aren't covered in sweat. I'm pretty sure my pool builder is not going to recognize me. LOL.

So I'll take 'Things you do not want to see in your backyard when building a pool for $500 Alex"...

What is

ajp7Aao.jpg

We must have had about 7 inches today. It has poured all day, although rain was forecast when they dug, the meteorologists forgot to mention it would be a monsoon. It sucks because all last week I think they got rained out building a pool because it rained heavily in the area and it barely rained here. Now this.

I still love my builder though. They had tried to tent the tarp a bit, but the pole fell over and with the little bit of rain we got before we went to bed the tarp collected a lot of water and I emailed them late last night to let them know. I had a text this morning at 7am, they sent someone to try and make the situation better. I think they were worried the weight on the tarp would cause a worse wall fall in. But its kind of difficult to do much with 7 inches of rain.There's a little bit of fall in on the edges that I can see and at least 3-4 ft of water in the deep end. The pump is about keeping up, but the rain hasn't let up to let it drain down the water. I went to check it a while ago, and there hadn't been any worsening of erosion around the edges. Its still pouring though.

I trust my builder completely though. I mean he had someone around at 8am on a Saturday, crawling around under the tarp in a thunderstorm and has been texting and staying in contact. Trying to sooth me and let me know they have plenty of experience in dealing with this kind of event and how to rectify it. I know they know how to deal with cave-ins, because when I picked him I saw them gunite a pool that had a cave in rectified (could see it had been cleared out and backer board installed) and besides I'm pretty sure you don't build pools down here in the South Louisiana swamps for the last 10 or so years without dealing with a few gully washers causing problems.

So I'm actually surprisingly calm about it all - I think thats because I feel like I'm in safe hands. But boy I do feel so frustrated at not being able to do anything to help. I'm a type A hands on self-reliant person. Usually I'm diving in to deal with problems head on, taking on renovations, repairing stuff. You know if a pipe busts I'm wading in trying to see if I can fix it. I only ever call in pros if I can't make it safe or it needs a lot of skill to make it look good. Or if is a sewer. LOL. There are some things worth paying for. Its how I was brought up. So this is like the first time I've ever hired a general contractor to do something for me. Yeah, and I'm not very practiced at having someone else be in charge. LOL. So even though its in my backyard, I hired a contractor, so now that part of the yard is his domain, his building site, and I know they would not want me near the dig. About all I can do is give him updates and check to make sure I can hear the pump running and pray my heart out for the rain to stop. So I'm doing all that.
If nothing else I like my builder and the guys that have been here working here. They are some seriously hard working fools, and not only that, but watching them put together the rebar and plumbing it obvious they are highly skilled and doing some great craftsmanship and I feel so bad they are going to have to end up digging out mud. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

However, I got to tell you, its seriously looking like the best decision ever not to self contract...

On the plus side where they spread the dirt has moved my low spot. (LOL not the pool okay). It should be much easier to put in a french drain to stop it ever flooding again.

Also on the plus side, I only got soaked through twice checking on the pump before I remembered I owned a full rain suit for riding my motorcycle in the rain. I am not a smart woman.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, well enough with nature hating me. Lets distract ourselves with something much more exciting - tile choices!!!!

So I'm happy with the coping, its a lovely Noche Travertine thats quite light. I love the 12x24 size too. Its what I always envisioned. Its got beautiful little gray streaks and pockmarks in it. I have a bit of a thing for natural stones and their fantastic variations running through them (I'm a beading artist in my day job!) Its going to be fantastic to seal it every year and be able to spend time looking at all its little variations without looking like a complete nutter! I found an almost identical look ceramic waterline tile to go around the waterline of the pool - its Cattan Sand by NPT.

cuIkOYG.jpg

jeHnGlz.jpg

My decisions are still what waterline tile to go with for the spa and behind the spillover - thats the colored glass. I think I'm leaning towards the Arctic Lagoon - thats the big sheet. I had thought I wanted something a bit on the greener side of aqua, but it goes really well with my trim color on my building/shed. I think the neptune green (2x2) is a bit dark, and I really wanted strips of tiles for the step markers and I think these would look too big. The other tile, jules aqua is a bit light I think and I'm not fond of the running bond pattern. Although I like the mixture of textured and smooth tile and iridescence. The other bonus to using the arctic lagoon is it'll look good as step marker strips against the french gray Diamondbrite. It also seems to be a popular choice among TFP'ers and I'd hate to buck a trend LOL. And all those that had it, are totally spot on - you cannot take a good pic of how it really looks. Its like the most beautiful, least photogenic tile ever made.

The other decision is on the stack stone for the spa surround. The light stack stone they had at the pool supply warehouse was quartzite. Its not a bad color match to the travertine - but its a distinctly different stone. It even has a crystalline sort of sheen to it, that would probably catch the sun. Now its not a bad choice, but I was thinking a more monotone look to all the stone so that the glass tile would really pop against it. So I found this at a tile supply store, (since my builder says I can have whatever I want wherever I find it. I just have to pay the extra)

TLrhZTr.jpg

This isn't a bad match either - plus its travertine so it has the same look to the stone, even though its obviously a rougher cut. But thats what we are going for in using stack stone anyway. I don't have to make a decision on the stack stone yet, because they install that after the deck is poured. So I think I might make the rounds of the tile places in town and see what is available.

Still I'm not sure. I sat outside with a beer looking at the choices all next to each other. I actually quite like the look of the quartzite ledge stone, but its kind of hard not having a sample of the travertine ledge stone to compare.

Well, wow, do we have problems. After we had all that rain the other day, they gave it a day to dry out, and then came back yesterday to finish rebar - well we had a cave in on the back wall. The problem is that my soil is all river silt and as fast as they would dig it out it would give way again. Today they came back with a digger and they still couldn't stop the back wall caving in. They've cut out all the rebar in the deep end and spread some portland cement on the walls to try and get the soil to hold together. We were supposed to get gunite shot tomorrow, but of course it had to start raining again this afternoon. And of course its absolutely pouring. Oh my goodness. They covered the walls again with a tarp, and I guess we'll see how it looks in the morning.

The picture below show it caving in from the corner, they were waiting on the digger to get there, but it eventually caved in all around and they had to cut out all the deep end rebar. It really sucks for them. I've been trying to keep their spirits up with drinks and baked goodies. They've all been busting their butts.

VhNZBsT.jpg

I have absolutely no issues with how they are dealing with this, they are doing their best and I know they are going to make sure once they get it to stop caving and rebar put back they are going to make sure its still squared up before gunite but they can't do that until they get it stable.

I do however have one little issue I wanted to check - most spas I see built on here have a hartford loop in the walls of the spa - is it also correct to have it done at the equipment pad? I know they are putting a blower in, and its plumbed for the air line. I did ask my builder if they were putting one in - I had to explain it was an air trap :rolleyes: and he did say yes. He said the air intake would be back by the pad. But well with all the other issues, I didn't want to press the issue and ask where because it sure isn't in the walls of the spa.

Anyway its been pouring the whole time I've been writing this, my yard is now flooded again. :swim: who needs to wait for the pool to be built huh? :cry:

I don't see how a loop at the pad would provide any benefit. The blower is already going to be elevated at the pad ... At whatever height they decide to set it. Loop at the spa is best, but it depends on how far the run to the pad is. The further the run, the more work the blower has to do before the line is clear. Only other option is a check valve at the spa. That might work initially, but I would think that it'll eventually leak and the line would still full with a good amount of water.

Well the run is definitely more than the 25' and it seems blower manufacturers with a manual online that I've found recommend putting in a loop if you travel more than that. I think if you don't you risk burning out the blower prematurely. You know, I just hate to bring it up to my builder with everything else going on. I don't even know how to broach the subject without sounding like an a-hole, with everything else they have to deal with.

Here's a pic of the spa plumbing.

oLtsrU2.jpg

I also just noticed its not finished at least there's an open pipe on the end. And I know they have to finish stubbing it out, and also stubbing out the returns before gunite. They've been all hands on deck with my stupid silt soil.

I'm looking through other peoples builds on the forum, and some have a loop and some don't and I'm not seeing any issues being posted about their spas if they don't have one. So I think I'm going to trust my builder on this one. They really seem to know what they are doing so far. I've been reading so many horror stories on this darn forum, I have serious trust issues LOL. I'm trying to leave my neuroses for the forum and not hassle my poor builder who has enough on his plate between my soil and the weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I've got 3 guys here today, trying to dig out the dirt again. My PB was here this morning overseeing it all. I'm not sure what is going to happen. They were going to try and get the gunite trucks in to shore up the wall, but they can't do that until they get the fallen in dirt out of the bottom, and well, its still falling in.

Still here is a picture of the second coming of the apocalypse last night.

W11Drwj.jpg

2hMciFH.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.