Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorination Combination Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorination Combination Question

Since joining our community of Pool Owners/Maintainers I've paid a great deal more amount of attention to what happens in my pool. I thank everyone for that. I started this year off with new chemicals (I still have yet to cross over to the BBB side) and I was wondering about their 'compatibility.' I'm using 3" Trichlor tabs and Di-Chlor Powered shock. Is there anything I should be aware of with this combination? Is there a better combo I should be looking for?

Looking forward to your comments as always,

Patrick
    28,000 Gal Pool w/ Attached raised Spa, White Plaster Finish, D.E. Filter - FNSP 60 sq. ft., Whisperflo Pump, Nature 2 Element (Housing Only Now Devoid of Cart.), Hayward CL200 In-Line Automatic Pool Chemical Feeder, RayPak Gas-fired Heater, Polaris 380, Zodiac 1.5-HP 240-Volt Polaris QT Spa Blower

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorination Combination Question

You can use them in combination. BUT, both of those add CYA to your pool. With continued use, you are going to end up with CYA so high that the FC can't be brought up high enough to be effective.

We typically recommend standard bleach (not outdoor, scented, etc.) for use for chlorination, or one of the automated methods such as salt water chlorine generation.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by PMellin View Post
    Since joining our community of Pool Owners/Maintainers I've paid a great deal more amount of attention to what happens in my pool. I thank everyone for that. I started this year off with new chemicals (I still have yet to cross over to the BBB side) and I was wondering about their 'compatibility.' I'm using 3" Trichlor tabs and Di-Chlor Powered shock. Is there anything I should be aware of with this combination? Is there a better combo I should be looking for?

Looking forward to your comments as always,

Patrick
    Crossing over?? You make it sound like TFPC is the dark side, when it's actually the pool store method is-dark green$$$$$$ or murky green- also$$$$$$
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I think the word you're looking for is "ascending"
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

5. Back To Top    #5

Step into the light.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator