Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CH test question

1. Back To Top    #1

CH test question

Good afternoon!

We are just setting up our 15ftx42 inch AG pool with SW generator. We are doing our testing for the first time this season and we can't remember if we are doing the CH test properly. So far, the only thing in our pool is salt and CA (cyanic acid) dissolved via a sock. We are doing the CH test by the instructions given with the test kit (3 drops x10). The results are coming up as 30 and we see that the ideal is 220-350.

For some reason I feel like the instructions did have an error on them, but I can't be sure. Does anyone know what's going on here? Help!

EDITED:
    I'm just now seeing that the CH directions on this site are different than what is on our laminated sheet that came with our kit. ?
    4000 gallon, AG Vinyl, SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CH test question

Use the instructions for CH listed here:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...Kit-Directions

The CH test can be one of the hardest tests to perform. This is where the SpeedStir really comes in handy.

Since your pool is vinyl, CH really isn't of a concern though. 220-350 is for plaster pools.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Okay, will give this one a whirl. Since it is vinyl should I even worry about testing it?

Another question! I'm getting a TA level of 30. I see that it should be between 100 and 120. I'm not seeing what I should be doing for this. Our pH is a little low at 6.8. Actually, I'll go ahead and post all results. I'd love any wisdom you could share!

pH 6.8
    Chlorine 5
    FC 6.5
    CC 0
    TC 6.5
    TA 30
    CYA 50

4. Back To Top    #4

Where are you finding the recommended levels? With a SWG you do not want your TA over about 70ppm.

Try this: Water Balance for SWGs
    and
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...mmended-levels
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd shoot for TA of 70, pH of 7.6 and ignore the CH.

Something is wrong with your math. You can't have FC of 5, CC of 0, and TC of 1.5. TC=FC+CC.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

You are right! I'm translating my husbands notes it's FC 6.5, CC 0, TC 6.5

I'm getting confused. To change the TA I'm not sure what to do. I'm entering this into the Pool Math calculator and nothing is coming up. The same for FC -nothing is popping up what to add.

So I need to up the TA, TC, and pH, correct? I just can't get the calculator to work for some reason. Maybe it's the user, I could use another cup of coffee... What do I need to add here?

7. Back To Top    #7

You enter your current readings in the NOW column on the left and your desired levels in the TARGET column on the right.
    PoolMath Instructions
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

You have to set up PoolMath for you specifics:

Set "Suggested Goal Levels" (yellow row at the bottom of the table). Set to TroubleFreePool.com, Vinyl, SWG

Set "Now" values going down the left column. Make sure you set size at the top. If you did not specifically add borates set to zero.

Set "Target" values
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

I closed out my browsers and restarted and the calculator is now working. Phew! Thanks for bearing with me. One more question--because we are raising the pH and TA -what is the best way to do this since, from what I understand raising TA will raise the pH. Should we just start raising the TA and wait to see what the pH does so it doesn't raise it too far?

We also have some 100% sodium carbonate someone gave us. Can we use this in place of baking soda or should we just stick with baking soda (which reads sodium BIcarbonate)

10. Back To Top    #10

You can use the "Effects of adding chemicals" section at the bottom to see the effect of adding chemicals (e.g. if adding baking soda for TA, it will also show you how much it will increase pH)

Sodium carbonate is washing soda. This will increase pH and TA together, so it is fine to use. Use pool math to figure out the effects of adding it. You don't want to overshoot pH or TA.
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

11. Back To Top    #11

Here's my recommendation, and you can double check using PoolMath to make sure you understand how this works.

Set 4,000 gallon pool, pH=6.8, TA=30

Target pH=7.4 (Aim low so we don't overshoot)

PoolMath says 12oz Washing Soda.

In the "Effects" section enter 12oz Washing Soda, PoolMath says (in addition to raising pH) it will raise TA by 21 for a total of 51.

That gets you most of the way there, as you should be targeting 60 or so.

Also, once the SWG is going you will typically see pH rise.

12. Back To Top    #12

That's perfect! I couldn't wrap my head around one chemical raising the other and trying to get them both in the right spot without going over. When it says 20 oz is that weighed or measuring cup?

13. Back To Top    #13

I fixed my math above (I used starting pH of 6.5 instead of 6.8 by mistake) so check out my new numbers (12 oz Washing Soda).

PoolMath calls out both weight and volume (12oz by weight, 10oz by volume)

14. Back To Top    #14

Wait, didn't that just say 20oz above? Now it says 12oz?

Okay, I thought I was seeing things, ha! I appreciate your help and patience!!!

15. Back To Top    #15

Yup...made a mistake *gasp*