Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: crusher dust and pier holes

1. Back To Top    #1

crusher dust and pier holes

I took up the pool last year so I could "do it right" this year and then leave it up year round.

Last year I used bricks for my piers. That didn't work well. Needed 2 bricks per pier, and each brick had to be level - it was a lot of work. [Edit: This year I'm going to put in 12x12 pavestones for piers.]

This year, I'm putting edging around the pool area and filling with crusher dust (recommended by the gravel yard).

So here are my questions:
    1) Is crusher dust suitable under an AGP? I remember reading last year that crushed gravel was the way to go - I don't know if that is the same or not.

2) I pulled up the brick piers. If I am filling with crush/dust, should I leave the pier holes empty (because they would be filled with the crush/dust) or fill them back with dirt?

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Chewbubba; 06-17-2014 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention what I was replacing the brick with.
    16x48 Intex Ultraframe vinyl AGP, 2150 gph sand filter/pump (Intex SF70110), Hayward Skimmer, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: crusher dust and pier holes

Yes, crusher dust is excellent.. Its called Blue Metal Dust where I live, and I'm putting 3m2 underneath and around my pool....
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

3. Back To Top    #3

It's the same thing. It is excellent as a base for the pool floor. Good luck with the build process and take pics so we can watch!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay, you asked for it, missteps and all. However, I have another question: will the crusher dust need to be packed down?

Hmm... I can't seem to post any pictures. I'll try again later.

Oh my, ALSO, I just saw the weather forecast and we are supposed to have thunderstorms for the next day or so. Should I cover my crop circle??!
    Last edited by Chewbubba; 06-20-2014 at 12:18 AM. Reason: panic!
    16x48 Intex Ultraframe vinyl AGP, 2150 gph sand filter/pump (Intex SF70110), Hayward Skimmer, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Yes, a plate compactor would be the best tool for the job... Compacting it is very important to create a stable foundation....
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

6. Back To Top    #6

Okay, but what about rain? I'm at the point where I'm ready for the dust, but it's supposed to start raining this afternoon. Should I hold off until the rain has passed? Does it matter if the dust gets wet (I thought I read somewhere that it gets like concrete)?

7. Back To Top    #7

You want it misted when you do the compacting. Many plate compactors have a water resovoir just for that purpose.

If you can compact it before the rain, great. If not, just compact after. Most landscaping yards or wherever you get it do not have it covered and it gets through the rain no problem. It really hardens up after the compacting.

8. Back To Top    #8

Okay, thanks. It's pouring here right now, so I haven't had the dust delivered yet. :/

9. Back To Top    #9

So here is where I started - leftovers from last year. Overgrown mess. Dirt pile still there from last year, but hopefully will be gone in the next week or two.

Pretty much what I used to level the place. The airpump was for the wheelbarrow. I don't have a come-along, so I put gorilla tape on the rake and that worked.

I got an 8 foot board, taped my level to it, and thought I'd be able to start at the lowest spot and start leveling. Not really sure what I was thinking...

2 things about the following picture: 1) the orange line is crooked and crazy because as I was painting the circle, I kept stepping in the holes where my brick piers were and I would stumble around while painting. It was so bad, I was laughing - my neighbors probably thought I had been drinking. 2) I hadn't noticed yet that my board didn't reach all the way from center to the line. Leveling was awful. I'd work on the high end, and the low end would be digging holes and such on the other end of the board.

Thanks to the internet and YouTube, I saw somebody drive a stake in the center and nail their board to it, so that's what I did. It wasn't until about 2/3 of the way that I noticed, "Hey, this doesn't reach my line!" I guess it was the heat. So I took another board, made it level with the first, and attached it with 3 heavy screws.

By this time, I had already exceeded my "I don't care anymore - just get it done" limit (this has taken 2 days). It's more-or-less level. The edging isn't perfect either, but like I said, I had surpassed my limit...

Now it sits underwater due to a heavy downpour and steady rain all afternoon. I'll guess it will be dry in a few days and then I can proceed with the crusher dust.

10. Back To Top    #10

Crusher dust finally arrived yesterday (via my Father-In-Law, which saved me about $75-$100 in transportation fees). Got it in eyeballed level (which turned out to be pretty bad), and then tamped it with a 10"x10" tamper. My arms were noodles. Then I leveled it (notice how unlevel my edging is, but I expected that). I'm going to tamp it again since I added 1 1/2 wheelbarrow-fulls on one side, and relevel, and then call it good.

11. Back To Top    #11

Question Re: crusher dust and pier holes [edit: new question]

Very important and urgent question:
    I've got the crusher dust level. Should I put a tarp between it and my foam board?

Do I need to protect the foam board in any way? I noticed when I took it up last year, that some sort of insect (probably ants, they are conquering my yard) tunneled into one of my foam sheets.

Thanks!

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

How thick of a layer is the crusher? If you are using foam, its probably a little overkill.....

13. Back To Top    #13

The crusher is about 1 inch in most places, and about 4 where the piers used to be.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Because its only an inch in some areas, it probably wouldn't hurt to use your tarp... Its just so weeds or grass won't grow up through it...

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks!

16. Back To Top    #16

Drug out the tarps and got them in place, and then put the foam board puzzle back together. I numbered them last year and took a picture before I took it apart so I could reassemble it.

Put the top of the frame together to determine pier placement...

and then spent most of the day cutting foam board, cutting tarps, digging, leveling, and pretty much destroying what was left of my back. It's not a glamor shot - you can still see dirt on the board, but it was beginning to rain again, so I quit.

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Looking good.... Are you level.?

18. Back To Top    #18

Awesome job! Such attention to detail!

please keep the pictures coming.
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

19. Back To Top    #19

@Taterfink - Thanks - will do!
    @Laceygirl - Yep.

It's going to be a few days before I can continue though. Weather is not cooperating. This time last year here in Arkansas, we were baking and the ground was rock-solid without rain for weeks. This year, the ground has hardly had a chance to get dry.