Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pulled the trigger on a Stenner, bleach injection here I come...

1. Back To Top    #1

Pulled the trigger on a Stenner, bleach injection here I come...

Since this website helped me get my swamp of a pool back into shape this season I've been only using bleach. The daily "glug, glug, glug" while kneeling in front of a return is getting old fast. I've already missed a night by mistake and would really like to automate this process.

After much reading of threads I decided it's worth money and effort to have one less thing to worry about. Today I pulled the trigger on a 45MHP10 and a 15 gallon tank, along with a couple of spare tubes.

I'm going the old school electro-mechanical Intermatic route slaved to my existing pool pump electro-mechanical Intermatic. I got the adjustable Stenner version so dialing in the proper dosage should be easy once I have a base runtime setup. Being an electrical engineer this is very much in my comfort zone.

Thanks for all the collective info here members! I'll be posting updates and photos as the hardware arrives and the project gets underway.
    19,200 Vinyl IG, Hayward 1HP Super Pump, Hayward DE-2400 Filter, Stenner 45MHP10 with 15 gallon tank, Dolphin Nautilus, Roof Mounted SunGrabber Solar Panels with separate 3/4HP pump and self-designed solar pump controller. Stand alone 4 person MasterSpa hot tub.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pulled the trigger on a Stenner, bleach injection here I come...

The Stenner has added alot more enjoyment to my pool. Ridding myself of the daily worry of pool maintence has really helpped.
    IG, 18K gallons, 100' Perimeter, 565 SF surface area, 980sf interior area, Max Length -36', Max Width - 16', Pentair 520 Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter, Stenner Chemical Injection System (Chlorine, Acid Coming Soon) , Pebble Tech - Blue Granite, Pentair variable speed filter pump, Zodiac MX8 Cleaner, Multi-Colored LED Lighting, Travertine coping & Decking, Boulder Water Fall....

3. Back To Top    #3

I really miss the little white spots from the chlorine splashing on my clothes.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

I bleach spotted up my favorite pair of Clarks Men's Saranac Lace Up Boat Shoes.
    19,200 Vinyl IG, Hayward 1HP Super Pump, Hayward DE-2400 Filter, Stenner 45MHP10 with 15 gallon tank, Dolphin Nautilus, Roof Mounted SunGrabber Solar Panels with separate 3/4HP pump and self-designed solar pump controller. Stand alone 4 person MasterSpa hot tub.

5. Back To Top    #5

I guess you could still get your share of bleach stains while filling the tank, no?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    I guess you could still get your share of bleach stains while filling the tank, no?
    Yes but I'm hoping to only do that once a month.

7. Back To Top    #7

If you cut the bottom off a bleach bottle you can make a big funnel. I also cut a U shape piece out of the side so the top of the carboy fits in it, very little if any splash.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I got a Stenner pump this year, as the last straw for me just this summer gone, was the destruction of MY STARWARS T-SHIRT And a Simpsons T-Shirt, and in all honesty, about $100 worth of my fave summer t-shirts.....
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

9. Back To Top    #9

Well while waiting for my Stenner and tank to arrive I rethought the electrical side of this. I decided to ditch my old single Intermatic (filter pump) and go for a new double Intermatic. Simplifies things as I installed the two outlet boxes (complete with NEMA 6-20 receptacles, one for filter pump and one for Stenner) with covers right on the Intermatic enclosure. I can wire up the Intermatic enclosure slaving the Stenner so it can only run when the filter pump runs, put the inside cover back on that will hide all the wiring and I'll be done with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Back To Top    #10

Very nice looking!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

I just got a shipment notification and UPS tracking number for my Stenner pump and tank from US Water Systems, it took 10 days. I've got spoiled with Amazon Prime...at your door in 2 days.

12. Back To Top    #12

Got the Stenner pump and tank setup today. Had to remove the 3 foot tall stockade fencing I had hiding the filter, dug out bit of grass and put down patio block/bricks in sand as a base for the tank.

There was a plumbing fitting after the puck chlorinator that tapped water for the Polaris booster pump. I dumped the Polaris and got a Dolphin Nautilus, so I just needed to get an adapter to screw in the Stenner injector/check valve. I'll leave the old puck feeder for now.

The area needs cleanup and a new fence, I just focused on getting it plumbed and operating. Did a run tonight, it worked fine...very happy camper!

Thanks to everyone who as posted info on their installs, it gave me the motivation to do mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Back To Top    #13

Beautiful install!!

Mine has been running for about two weeks. By sheer luck it is keeping my FC in my sweet spot of 6 - 9ppm.

14. Back To Top    #14

Very nice setup! I've ordered my stenner last week and am impatiently waiting for it to ship from US Water Systems. Spoiled by Amazon Prime is right!
    Do you have any info on your solar system? I've been thinking of rigging up something similar myself
    23,000 gal plaster pool w/overflow spa
    Hayward EcoStar pump
    Hayward c4030 425 sq. ft. cartridge filter

15. Back To Top    #15

Info on my solar setup can be found here:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...e-summer-begin!

16. Back To Top    #16

Update:
    I just love my Stenner bleach injection setup. The past week has been hectic for me (being out every night without coming home from work first) but without a care or worry my pool's daily chlorine need is taken care of automatically. I'm still checking the FC level daily when I can, but it just bounces between my minimum and maximum levels rather well...dependent upon just when I do the FC test. If you are on the fence about doing this yourself, go for it!