Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG not working....now what?

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG not working....now what?

We are house sitting, again, and this time the SWG just went out. We are waiting on the home owner to get us the warranty information so we can deal with it but in the meantime can we shock it and treat it as we would a normal chlorine pool? It's now a lovely shade of green and has no chlorine left but I didn't want to do something that would make the situation worse in the long run. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG not working....now what?

You just add plain bleach (not splash proof, outdoor, or scented) to the pool until the SWG is repaired. PoolMath and a test kit will help you know how much to add.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Chlorine is consumed and needs to be replenished daily. If the SWG is not working you should be adding chlorine in the form of bleach/liquid chlorine daily.

Assuming the owners had the pool balanced properly for SWG, CYA is in the 60-80 range. You do not want to use pucks or granular shock because you will be adding CYA, which will make things worse.

How are you testing?
    Can you post numbers?
    Did FC go to zero?
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by svenpup View Post
    Chlorine is consumed and needs to be replenished daily. If the SWG is not working you should be adding chlorine in the form of bleach/liquid chlorine daily.

Assuming the owners had the pool balanced properly for SWG, CYA is in the 60-80 range. You do not want to use pucks or granular shock because you will be adding CYA, which will make things worse.

How are you testing?
    Can you post numbers?
    Did FC go to zero?
    We've been here at the house for the last month and we had it perfectly balanced with the SWG. I'm so sad that it's not working now. I found the calculator and added the bleach but I didn't have time to find anything else (large bag of baking soda or calcium chloride (Home Depot didn't have it?)) since I have to go to work soon. I do have the muriatic acid but wasn't sure when do add that vs. the other 2 (baking soda/calcium)

They still haven't purchased a good test kit but the pool store results (yes, I know they're not preferred) are:
    Total: 0.3
    FC: 0.3
    pH: 8.5
    TA: 65
    CH: 75

5. Back To Top    #5

As will happen with a SWG, your pH is way too high. It could be much higher than 8.5 since you are at the limits of the test. With an SWG, you are most likely going to have to add muriatic acid on a weekly basis. Keep this as a part of your routine that you never ignore. An SWG is great for making maintenance easier and less frequent, but you still DO have to do some maintenance, at least on a weekly basis.

Your FC is way too low, you need to get some bleach in there immediately.

Please post as much information about the pool as possible. How many gallons, is it plaster/fiberglass/vinyl, etc.

Why didn't the pool store give you the CYA test results?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, if you believe those numbers you don't need baking soda; TA is fine at 75 for SWG.

pH is VERY high and may be higher since that is probably max for the test. Use muriatic acid to bring pH down.

CH?!?!?! Is this a vinyl pool? If this is a plaster pool that is crazy low to the point of being unbelievable. Also CH doesn't just disappear without a major water replacement, and in fact tends to build up. Have you done a drain and refill recently? You said you had it "perfectly balanced". What does that term mean to you? This is why we don't like pool store testing. If we believe the pool store testing and this is a plaster pool you have to get CH up STAT, but if it was already balanced then CH should still be there.
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

I have no idea about the CYA results and I'm picking up extra hours so I can buy a decent kit myself. I'm kinda tired of this guessing game. I put 128 oz of bleach in just now and will pick some more up tomorrow when I get to Costco, where the big bag of baking soda is. The SWG is not working now and likely will be out the rest of the summer so I'm trying to get it converted to a chlorine pool and get it straight. Right now it's a lovely shade of grass green. In only 3 days. :-/

15,000 gallons. Vinyl liner. Sand filter (not sure on size).

The pool store suggested the cleaning tablets but I nearly choked at the price so I came back here.

I'll be honest. The only time this pool is straight is when we are here. The owner doesn't test it. He just randomly tosses chemicals in it when it gets cloudy or green so I'm doing the best I can to learn the other side of the chemicals since the SWG is not an option right now.

I apologize if I don't provide the right information, or amount of information, the first time. I'm trying.
    15000 GALLON - VINYL LINER - Taylor K-2006

8. Back To Top    #8

If you are already green, go to Pool School and start reading about the SLAM process. Once you get your test kit, you will need to know it well.

9. Back To Top    #9

As I said in my last post, you don't need baking soda.

It the absence of a test kit why don't you try a different pool store. Try to find one that doesn't use strips and tell them you got some suspect results from another store and see if you get some better numbers.

10. Back To Top    #10

Your doing good. Your here. If there is information we need that you forgot to add, we'll ask. We were all in the same boat at one time or another. You can defeat this beast and have a sparkling pool. It just takes time and patience.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

11. Back To Top    #11

Also, with a vinyl liner your CH is fine. No need for calcium either. See, we're saving you money already.

12. Back To Top    #12

I'll take some more water to another store tomorrow. They do a strip test and a computer test of some kind at the store they usually go to but will get a second opinion. Thanks!

13. Back To Top    #13

Current results are really not going to matter. You need to go through the SLAM process, and you aren't going to be able to do that without the FAS-DPD test.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    Current results are really not going to matter. You need to go through the SLAM process, and you aren't going to be able to do that without the FAS-DPD test.
    http://www.amazon.com/TAYLOR-TECHNOL...A1DXN92KCKEQV4

Will this work? I'm assuming it will.

15. Back To Top    #15

That will work, however the TF-100 is a better value. More reagents which you will need if the SLAM turns out to more than just a quickie.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

16. Back To Top    #16

I couldn't find the TF-100 on Amazon so bought that one. Hopefully it won't take long to get it swimmable. Really didn't need this to happen a week before a pool party. :-/

17. Back To Top    #17

Ok, I finally got my test kit.
    FC = 0
    pH = 7.2
    TA = 50
    CH = 80
    CYA = 52

It's blue - no longer green. While waiting on the kit I put bleach in daily until it turned blue again and then just left it filtering.

I used the calculator and added the recommended bleach but haven't done anything else yet.
    It recommended 11lbs baking soda and 25lbs calcium chloride.
    The water is still a bit cloudy. I can see the bottom of the shallow end clearly but not the deep end.

18. Back To Top    #18

For vinyl liner forget the calcium; low is fine.

For SWG keep TA low too. If you bring it up at all only do 10 or so. TA plus aeration equals pH rise and SWG equals aeration.

Your big problem is FC. FC! FC! Why are you at zero??!!! You should be SLAMing. That means bringing FC up to shock levels as frequently as every HOUR!! Read the article in pool school about the SLAM process. Then read it again. Then DO IT!

19. Back To Top    #19

Our SWG isn't working. I'm working on this as though it's not there. I just "just" got the kit and am "just" getting started. I will SLAM, I just didn't have time. Something called work got in the way. :/

20. Back To Top    #20

No excuses. J.k.