New Pool Owner

GOLDS

Jun 17, 2014
Rochester, NY
I bought a house last year that has what I think is a 24 foot, 15,000 gallon above ground pool. I uncovered the pool last year but didn't hook up the pump or do any maintenance on it because moving in became too much work in itself. The owner left the Hayward Flo LX pump and Hayward Cartridge Filter and I have connected the Pump and Filter (following a good YouTube video) and have filled the pool to the required water level. The problem is that the pool hasn't been open for two years and the water, although clear enough to see the bottom of the pool floor, is dark and obviously needs some good shock. I read all the articles on this website made for beginners including the very detailed chemical explanation, but I feel very overwhelmed with how much you need to know to get a pool up and running. I'm leaning toward taking a water sample to a local pool store to get it tested and then buying liquid chlorine and washing soda from Walmart and using the calculator on this site to determine how much I need to shock it. However, my co-worker is a 25 year pool owner who has used Baquacil for many years and says he has NEVER had a problem with it and is expensive but works fantastic.

What are your recommendations for getting a pool that has been closed for 2 years up and running?

Welcome to TFP!

The main things are to make sure the pump is working before you really get started, and to get any and all solid debris out of the pool before SLAMing.

Having your own top quality test kit will also make things much simpler.

Welcome to TFP!

The main things are to make sure the pump is working before you really get started, and to get any and all solid debris out of the pool before SLAMing.

Having your own top quality test kit will also make things much simpler.

That was one thing I was wondering about, I do have debris (leaves and 2 year old grime) floating around the bottom of the pool. I should get all the vacuumed out before starting to add any type of chemicals?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.