Preserving unused in ground pool until can be repaired

hla57

Jun 17, 2014
Northfield
We have an in ground pool that has not been used since 2011. We would like to use it again in the future but cannot this year.

In late August 2011 our liner started coming apart from the rim. We intended to repair before closing but I was laid off from my job the following week. With our income significantly reduced, we decided to wait until the following year to repair. We live in a rural area and jobs are scarce. Now nearly three years have passed and I only work part time. We cannot afford to repair and cannot afford an actual cover this year.

We have kept the pool covered with a large tarp. The tarp is starting to tear and needs to be replaced. The current condition - it's a mess. The water above the tarp looks like a pond full of leaves. I don't know yet how far the liner has come down and am afraid to see what is underneath.

I honestly don't know how to proceed at this point. From what I have heard, filling it in is as daunting a task as preserving it. Given a change in our current situation, it is conceivable that we could have the liner replaced next summer. What can we do to make the current task of replacing the cover and anticipated task of repairing more feasible? Personally, I'd like to drop the cover full of leaves into the pool along with the plastic pool we have been using, cover it up and worry about it later. I am guessing that is not the best idea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Helen

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.