Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner...not sure what to do.

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner...not sure what to do.

Have been testing for several weeks now with Taylor-2006c. Latest test results FC:11 CC:0 pH:7.7 TotalAlk:160 CYA:140

The previous owners were using silk sticks, so the CYA is very high, but I have been draining a little and refilling to get it down (Started with it at 200). Now only using bleach as a chlorine source. I know I need to get CYA down more, and I think I'm slowly getting there. My main question is about my pH/Alkalinity. pH keeps rising, so I add muriatic acid to lower it, and then it keeps coming back up. The pool store thinks I should raise the alkalinity, but wont doing this pull the pH up more?

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Louisiana

Re: New pool owner...not sure what to do.

I would not worry about the TA until you finish your water exchange to lower your CYA as you still need to replace over half your water.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~