Acid Demand test

jugger2500

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2008
South Eastern PA
I received my TF-100 kit this week, and needless to say I am impressed with both the kit and the fast shipping.

However, I've got a quick question. Since I am getting a SWG and it is my understanding that I will be putting acid into the pool quite frequently as a result I was wondering how easy it would be to add a Acid Demand test to accompany my TF-100? Is it just a matter of getting the right reagents? If so then do you carry those reagents? I guess I would also need to know the proper procedures for conducting the acid demand test since I've never done it before.

Thanks in advance for all of the help.

The acid demand test seems to perform no function that cannot be met with a simple pH Test.

I do not carry the test but I am almost sure it is available seperately from Taylor. Again, it's function is very unclear to me since I know that virtually any swimming pool can be maintained without this test.

Perhaps others can explain a circumstance in which acid and/or base demand tests are useful to the average pool owner.

Triple,

How does it differ from a simple pH test and then adding per Jason's calculator? I know the calulator is not perfect but it seems to work very accurately for my purposes. Not being argumentative but trying to understand the difference.

While I have my test kit out it's just very easy to add a drop or two of the acid demand to get to the pH I'm shooting for.

Your correct in saying that the pool calculator can do the samething but since I can do it with just my test kit I don't have to get on the computer. If my test kit couldn't do it I'd be using Jason's calculator.

The acid demand test is most useful when you are trying to lower PH from a high level outside the range of the test, that is higher than 8.2. You don't know the true PH, so you can't use a calculator, but the acid demand test will still work. It is also handy when you have borates, since only Chem Geek's fairly complex calculator will correctly calculate PH changes when borate levels are not near zero. The same two situations apply to the base demand test, except it would be raising low PH instead of lowering high PH.

Hopefully some time soon I will add borates effect on PH changes to my Pool Calculator and eliminate that reason.

In all cases when you don't have the acid/base demand test you can calculate a safe amount of chemical to use, try it, let things mix, and then test again. A couple of cycles of that and you will get to the same place. So the extra tests are hardly necessary. However, in those rare cases when your PH is out of range they are very handy.

From what I have seen, more people are confused by the acid/base demand test in the Taylor kits, and make mistakes because of their confusion, than the number of people who actually have any need for them.

I have used the Acid Demand test because Jason's calculator doesn't deal with high borate levels. The AD test helped establish a dose/response relationship for my particular pool. Now I can usually directly estimate the acid requirement from the pH and do not usually bother the AD test.

I am happy to hear Jason is considering adding borate calculations to his wonderfully useful calculator.

By the way, you can buy the Taylor Acid demand reagent and use it with the TF100 kit. You have to make sure to use the correct one for the sample size used in the TF100. I think the number is R-0015. You just count the drops required to get the pH where you want it. You can get the instructions and dose table on line at the Taylor website.

Marc

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The acid demand test is not necessary but I find it to be helpful. There are times when I want the pH at a different level. By counting the acid demand drops I know how much muriatic acid to put into the pool. I can do this pool side and do not need to reference my computer or charts. If I am having trouble deciding the pH color reference sometimes seeing where one drop of acid takes the pH color helps me decide what the pH of the pool was. I buy an OTO test reagents for daily testing and the refills contain an acid demand test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.