Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Acid Demand test

1. Back To Top    #1

Acid Demand test

I received my TF-100 kit this week, and needless to say I am impressed with both the kit and the fast shipping.

However, I've got a quick question. Since I am getting a SWG and it is my understanding that I will be putting acid into the pool quite frequently as a result I was wondering how easy it would be to add a Acid Demand test to accompany my TF-100? Is it just a matter of getting the right reagents? If so then do you carry those reagents? I guess I would also need to know the proper procedures for conducting the acid demand test since I've never done it before.

Thanks in advance for all of the help.
    8200 Gal Vinyl 18' AG Vogue Pool
    150lb Hayward Sand filter with 1-1/2 HP Maxim Pump
    Intex SWG
    Some of the most helpful links for pool owners: Pool School | Pool Calculator | The best test kit | Chlorine/CYA chart

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Acid Demand test

The acid demand test seems to perform no function that cannot be met with a simple pH Test.

I do not carry the test but I am almost sure it is available seperately from Taylor. Again, it's function is very unclear to me since I know that virtually any swimming pool can be maintained without this test.

Perhaps others can explain a circumstance in which acid and/or base demand tests are useful to the average pool owner.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I use it since it's part of my Taylor K-2006 test kit. With the test and the booklet they give you it tells you exactly how much acid to add to get to a specific pH level. It's very useful to me.
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Triple,

How does it differ from a simple pH test and then adding per Jason's calculator? I know the calulator is not perfect but it seems to work very accurately for my purposes. Not being argumentative but trying to understand the difference.
    Dave S.

5. Back To Top    #5

While I have my test kit out it's just very easy to add a drop or two of the acid demand to get to the pH I'm shooting for.

Your correct in saying that the pool calculator can do the samething but since I can do it with just my test kit I don't have to get on the computer. If my test kit couldn't do it I'd be using Jason's calculator.
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

6. Back To Top    #6

The acid demand test is most useful when you are trying to lower PH from a high level outside the range of the test, that is higher than 8.2. You don't know the true PH, so you can't use a calculator, but the acid demand test will still work. It is also handy when you have borates, since only Chem Geek's fairly complex calculator will correctly calculate PH changes when borate levels are not near zero. The same two situations apply to the base demand test, except it would be raising low PH instead of lowering high PH.

Hopefully some time soon I will add borates effect on PH changes to my Pool Calculator and eliminate that reason.

In all cases when you don't have the acid/base demand test you can calculate a safe amount of chemical to use, try it, let things mix, and then test again. A couple of cycles of that and you will get to the same place. So the extra tests are hardly necessary. However, in those rare cases when your PH is out of range they are very handy.

From what I have seen, more people are confused by the acid/base demand test in the Taylor kits, and make mistakes because of their confusion, than the number of people who actually have any need for them.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Thanks, guys,

I have a better understanding now. At this point, my choice would still be not to include it in the kit and to hold the kit cost as low as possible.
    Dave S.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have used the Acid Demand test because Jason's calculator doesn't deal with high borate levels. The AD test helped establish a dose/response relationship for my particular pool. Now I can usually directly estimate the acid requirement from the pH and do not usually bother the AD test.

I am happy to hear Jason is considering adding borate calculations to his wonderfully useful calculator.

By the way, you can buy the Taylor Acid demand reagent and use it with the TF100 kit. You have to make sure to use the correct one for the sample size used in the TF100. I think the number is R-0015. You just count the drops required to get the pH where you want it. You can get the instructions and dose table on line at the Taylor website.

Marc
    My Pool
    15k Gal Gunite Pool w/8 ft Spa w/Spillover
    Hayward DE Filter + DE Separation Tank
    Legend Sweep, Pentair Gas Heater
    Stenner Metering Pump for Liquid Chlorine Injection (15 gallon tank)

9. Back To Top    #9

For the PH test in the TF100 it is indeed R-0015 for acid demand, and R-0016 for base demand.

I have not seen the dosage charts at their web site, If you have a URL please post it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Look on the back of the instructions for the Taylor K-1000 that comes with the TF-100. There are charts for base and acid demand as well as chlorine.
    30K gal. IG Free form
    Cartridge Filter, Solar and Gas Heater
    Using BBB

11. Back To Top    #11

The acid demand test is not necessary but I find it to be helpful. There are times when I want the pH at a different level. By counting the acid demand drops I know how much muriatic acid to put into the pool. I can do this pool side and do not need to reference my computer or charts. If I am having trouble deciding the pH color reference sometimes seeing where one drop of acid takes the pH color helps me decide what the pH of the pool was. I buy an OTO test reagents for daily testing and the refills contain an acid demand test.
    30,000 gallon gunite in-ground with a spillover spa, Diving board and water slide
    Hayward 1 HP Super II filter pump, Hayward 24 " Sand Filter Pro Series using zeolite media
    Polaris 380 cleaner with ¾ HP booster pump, Hayward Heatmaster pool heater, AutoPilot DIG-220 Power Supply SC-60 cell
    Testing with the TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Thank you everyone for your help. I will pickup some R-0015 the next time I am at the pool store.
    Intex SWG
    Some of the most helpful links for pool owners: Pool School | Pool Calculator | The best test kit | Chlorine/CYA chart

13. Back To Top    #13

Just in case anybody else was interested in the Acid Demand testing directions I found some at http://poolandpatio.about.com/od/mai...pooltest_8.htm. They aren't specific to Taylor kits/reagents, but I would think the directions are pretty much the same regardless.
    Intex SWG