Treating metal staining post SLAM

Jul 6, 2013
Scotch Plains, NJ
Hi all -

After what seems like weeks of SLAMing the pool, I'm finally through it! Now I get to treat the metal stains :) I do know that they are metal stains as they are not removable by brushing, only with a Vitamin C tablet.

My FC is still too high to do anything, but I wanted to confirm with the experts what I need to do first prior to proceeding with the metal treatment. I understand I need to bring PH down potentially although I need to wait for my FC to test it to confirm the numbers. Since I've been performing the SLAM for so long, I really have no idea what the number is. Once I know what the number is, what is the best method to drop the PH?

Also, since it's a liner pool, I'm going to use the Jacks Magic Blue Vinyl Liner Stuff, we've used it previously and it worked like a charm. Do I really have to drop the FC to zero? I'm so hesitant after just having been performing the SLAM process the thought of letting it drop to nothing is a little scary. I do realize it may inhibit the effectiveness of it, but can i let the FC run at around a 5 while I do it?

Are there any other logistical things I need to address before I start to address? I found the pool school article here about metal stains and also read through this article already: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/2129-Ascorbic-Treatment-to-rid-Pool-of-metal-stains

Since I'm not using ascorbic acid, I'm not sure if I have to apply the same line of thinking or not.

Many thanks for your help!
Lorraine

If you are using ascorbic acid or citric acid you really do need to lower FC to zero. But if you're just using Jacks Magic Blue Vinyl Liner Stuff there is no need to lower FC that low.

Muriatic acid is good for lowering PH. You can also use dry acid, though it is usually noticeably more expensive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.