D.E. and Alge problems?

MagillaGorillaX

In The Industry
Jun 28, 2013
Grids are bad for the filter(and are in the works of being replaced) after back washing and adding DE I notice some gets blown back into the pool. Will DE screw with chlorine? Pool can't seemed to go for more then a few days and its got alge. Thanks for any info/help

DE in the pool is annoying, but won't affect chlorine either way.

Algae problems are almost always caused by your chemical levels being out of balance. Most commonly that is from CYA being too high, though there are several other possibilities. If you post a complete set of water test results we can make some specific recommendations.

I maintain the pool twice a week. It seems like chlorine level never gets above 1 or 2 which in Florida is low. Only time it reads higher is after a shock but by the time I get back to it in about 3 days pool is starting to Algae up. Heading back tonight to shock and brush and backwash will get a reading then. Thanks

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I maintain the pool twice a week. It seems like chlorine level never gets above 1 or 2 which in Florida is low. Only time it reads higher is after a shock but by the time I get back to it in about 3 days pool is starting to Algae up. Heading back tonight to shock and brush and backwash will get a reading then.

Wow. So many issues in one paragraph! :) I'll dive in....

I maintain the pool twice a week.

If you only maintain the pool twice a week, it's going to take a significant amount of time and lots of money to clean up the mess that was allowed to grow. What is recommended here is to take 10 minutes on your pool every day. Daily maintenance will actually take less total time and effort and far less money.

Heading back tonight to shock and brush....

This implies that you don't live at the pool. If that's true, you should probably find someone close to the pool who is willing to take a few minutes every day and maintain the pool for you. Both of you can read through Pool School, which gives you just about all you need to know.

It seems like chlorine level never gets above 1 or 2 which in Florida is low.
The sterilization ability of chlorine depends on your CYA (stabilizer) level. See the Chlorine/CYA chart. So you need to know your CYA level to determine what your minimum Free Chlorine level is to be able to prevent algae and bacteria outbreaks. And you need to determine what type of chlorine (liquid vs tablets vs powder) is best in your situation. To be able to make intelligent decisions, you need a good test kit that can provide the answers you need. It might seem like a costly investment, but it will pay for itself very quickly in minimizing the amount of money and time you have to spend clearing up algae outbreaks.

Only time it reads higher is after a shock but by the time I get back to it in about 3 days pool is starting to Algae up.
A one-time "shock" is usually insufficient to clear out all the algae, but even if it is sufficient, as soon as the free chlorine (FC) drops again the algae will rebound with a vengeance. You'll need to do a SLAM (Shock Level and Maintain) to kill off all the existing algae, then maintain the proper FC level (as determined by your CYA level) to prevent recurrence.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.