Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new season, new challenges

1. Back To Top    #1

new season, new challenges

We put up our 26' above ground intex pool SWG over the weekend. It is nearly full. Last year I discovered TFP and LOVED IT....so helpful! So a little refreshing on the pool basics page was all I needed.

However, I am confused how to start my process. Our climate has been unusually cold, and we have received almost 3 inches of rain in the past two days, which typically (in the past) will turn my water cloudy. I have not added anything yet, including salt, as the water is still filling as I write this (tho it's almost full). The water will be very cold to get into to spread that salt around! Not looking forward to it.

We also had a major dust storm Mon morn, so the water has a fair amount of dirt in the bottom, and some leave debris. Vacuuming is necessary, tho a replacement piece to my vacuum will not arrive until tomorrow.

My question: do I slam the water off the bat? With or without the salt?

Any advice how to get going is appreciated. In the past, I've always started with crystal clear water that warms up as we fill the pool. That simply is not the case this time. I know it will be cloudy today/tomorrow from the rain, and the dirt/debris certainly isn't ideal. And like I mentioned....it's not going to be a pleasant experience getting in that un-warmed water...........
    Intex 26' Ultra Frame Pool; approx 15,000 gallons; Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 16" & Saltwater System Model CS20110

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new season, new challenges

Hi! I'm pretty sure you will get the standard response of ......"run a full set of tests to see where you are at and go from there".

Refresh your knowledge in Pool School. What test kit do you have? Post your results and I am sure someone will be glad to help you if needed. Sounds like you will need to adjust your CYA with the new water added. Adjust the PH and start bringing the CH up. The pool calculator will tell you what you need to do from there. Good luck and happy swimming!
    16,000 gallon Oval Vinyl Liner Pool (new liner 2014)
    Custom built in 1999 to be half in-ground and half out (sloped yard) vermiculite bottom, laser sighted to Florida Room and Deck
    Purex Triton Model cc100 Cartridge Filter, 100 gpm flow rate, Penfair 1HP Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

yep, we need test results

Do you use well water or municipal water?

Fill it, test it, post results!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

yes, I will test the water shortly.....I am just unsure of which table to use since I won't get the salt in right away. Does that make a difference?
    Intex 26' Ultra Frame Pool; approx 15,000 gallons; Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 16" & Saltwater System Model CS20110

5. Back To Top    #5

Tables will show you the targets ... test results show us the actuals. No difference at all in which to use.

I would go ahead and get the salt in.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

results; FC-0, pH-8.2, CYA-less than 20

if I'm reading my recommendations correct, my targets are FC-3-5, pH-7.5-7.8, CYA-70-80.

if I'm reading my table chart correct on what to add, I need 235 oz of CYA????? I am on my way to town for the bleach. I've never worried about the TA before....should I?

7. Back To Top    #7

Dont sweat the TA. Its the last thing we worry about and then only if warranted by wicked pH swings.

Sneak up on your CYA level. shoot for 50% of where you want to be then test a week later (no point in doing the test sooner - it takes that long to register).
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.

8. Back To Top    #8

What test kit are you using tcglanzer?

- - - Updated - - -

It kind of worries me that you skipped the answer to that. I hope you realize test strips and pool store tests are not accurate and you could be relying on bad info.
    Custom built in 1999 to be half in-ground and half out (sloped yard) vermiculite bottom, laser sighted to Florida Room and Deck
    TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

sorry....didn't mean to not respond to the test kit question....I'm using the TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

Congratulations on taking control of your pool! If you follow the advice you get here, I have no doubt that your pool problems will disappear and you will be on your way to actually relaxing and enjoying your water.
    TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by karmabiker View Post
    Dont sweat the TA. Its the last thing we worry about and then only if warranted by wicked pH swings.

Sneak up on your CYA level. shoot for 50% of where you want to be then test a week later (no point in doing the test sooner - it takes that long to register).
    I forgot to mention - get that pH down and the CL up. Until you get the CYA in the CL will burn off fast. No need to SLAM if it is clear and the CL is holding (2-3ppm loss during the day, 0 at night ... again after the CYA is in for these numbers)

I think it is a 48 hour wait on turning on the SWG after adding salt... You will want to verify that.

12. Back To Top    #12

I don't remember ever reading to wait 48 hrs after adding salt to start the system. But I will check the manual. I did NOT do that last year, and I don't know that I did any damage......maybe my system wasn't working properly since I did have problems at the end of the summer due to lack of chlorine. I just keep learning. I love this website!