Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Oh **** ! Hole in my liner?

1. Back To Top    #1

Oh **** ! Hole in my liner?

When vacuuming the pool yesterday, I noticed what appears to be a puncture in the floor of the liner. Is there anyway to repair this with water in the pool?
    Looks like a half circle suspiciously the size of the brush pole. I don't know how it got there cause everyone else swims and leaves.... LOL. So I guess I had to be me that did it. LOL

edit: Cant believe I spelled hole wrong...
    Last edited by woodyp; 06-17-2014 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Spelling
    24' Round Above Ground Pool,
    13600 Gallons, Intex 2650 GPH SWG
    with 0.95 HP single speed pump and
    16" Sand Filter.
    Hoschton, Georgia

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Oh **** ! Hole in my liner?

Fixed that for ya'!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Fixed that for ya'!
    Thanks !! Can ya fix my pool too ? LOL
    16" Sand Filter.
    Hoschton, Georgia

4. Back To Top    #4

I can see I'm gonna have to start charging you!...........but, you should get a patch kit, start with one half inch or so bigger than the area, then patch over that one, then patch over THAT one-successively larger each time.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Buy a liner patch kit at WalMart or the pool store and get a *trusted* helper. Why should you *trust* them? Because they will be holding you down in the water while you place the patch and they need to let you up when you tell them! That's why they should be a *trusted* helper.

You are going to patch this with 3 patches. The first patch is going to be a little bigger than the hole. Round the patch, apply glue, go under the water with the patch and have that helper hold you down or you will float to the surface.

The second patch is going to be bigger than the first and rounded off, apply glue and repeat.

The 3rd patch bigger, rounded off, apply patch while helper holds you down and DONE! Go swimming and don't put the pole in the water without attachments!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks to all !
    16" Sand Filter.
    Hoschton, Georgia

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by racer47 View Post
    Thanks !! Can ya fix my pool too ? LOL
    Now that was funny.
    Thanks - John
    Pool: Sharkline Matrix 18 Round 54 Deep
    Pool Size: ~8200 Gallons
    Filter Type: Sand
    Pump: Intex 2650

8. Back To Top    #8

I had a 1" split on liner seam I used pre-adhesive applied patch. This is third summer still holding strong. Casey is right I had my wife stand on my bubble butt when I placed patch. When I need to replace patch I plan on using 3 patch repair recommended by Woody and Casey.
    24' Reprieve RD/AG/13K gal Vinyl TFP method
    Waterway Clearwater 175 sqft Cartridge
    Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP Pump 2-Speed
    TF-100 Test Kit SpeedStir Borate Insta Test
    Spreading TFP to All

9. Back To Top    #9

Just curious: Can the three patches be done in quick succession, or do they need to cure between the three patches?
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

10. Back To Top    #10

Update: I applied the patches as per the instructions on the package. The biggest problem is that the patches try to roll up when your glue them. I fold them over onto themselves as directed but when you are under water its hard to un-fold them and get them stuck down in time. I think they are holding but may have some wrinkles and loose edges. Any suggestions for me before I add the second larger patch over the first?
    16" Sand Filter.
    Hoschton, Georgia

11. Back To Top    #11

If you have any bricks laying around, wrap them in a t-shirt and place them on the patch to hold the edges down. Anything heavy enough to sit on bottom but light enough for you to handle easily should work if you don't have any bricks.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Put them on, rub it down, glue the next one on. I never fold over because of the difficulty in peeling apart under water. Of course the patch will curl. That's why we recommend 3 patches with each bigger than the last.

I had 17 holes in my liner in 2006 from a very excited and enthusiastic dog who learned how to go to the bottom of the pool to pick up pool toys! I patched them all and then replaced the whole pool the next year and we enjoyed it leak free til 2010!

13. Back To Top    #13

I have one big hole in my liner, well not a hole but a failure in the seam. It is almost a foot long and was patched this way last summer. I discovered it shortly after we started using the pool. The liner manufacturer said they would replace the liner if I "cut out the area in question" and sent it to them. It is on the bottom of the pool...

So of course I didn't do that and the patch is very noticeable. I am going to cover it with some super tacky turtle pool stickers . The patch is holding very well - no leaks but ugh. Hopefully no one will notice the patch but you!
    12 x 28 Doughboy Dinosaur (j/k: Breckenridge) partial bury, continuous depth 9,000gal. Doughboy Power Pak I digital 1hp pump, Hayward Pro-Series 300lb sand filter. Foam panel base, Gladon wall foam, Gladon cove.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeonlove View Post
    I have one big hole in my liner, well not a hole but a failure in the seam. It is almost a foot long and was patched this way last summer. I discovered it shortly after we started using the pool. The liner manufacturer said they would replace the liner if I "cut out the area in question" and sent it to them. It is on the bottom of the pool...

So of course I didn't do that and the patch is very noticeable. I am going to cover it with some super tacky turtle pool stickers . The patch is holding very well - no leaks but ugh. Hopefully no one will notice the patch but you!
    I assume they meant to drain the pool at the end of the season, send them the cut out portion, and they will send you a new liner in time for next season.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

15. Back To Top    #15

My point was the Walmart patch kit works fine even if you have a large area to fix. I was not confused by the liner warranty lingo and never assumed they wanted me to cut a hole around a hole on the bottom and then wonder where the water went...it was a cheap liner and I do not want their replacement. I'll get a snazzier one next year!
    12 x 28 Doughboy Dinosaur (j/k: Breckenridge) partial bury, continuous depth 9,000gal. Doughboy Power Pak I digital 1hp pump, Hayward Pro-Series 300lb sand filter. Foam panel base, Gladon wall foam, Gladon cove.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeonlove View Post
    I'll get a snazzier one next year!
    I love the snazzier ones better! I think (JMO) they help make the pool beautiful!

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I love the snazzier ones better! I think (JMO) they help make the pool beautiful!
    I have to start the process of looking for a new one for next season. The one I have now is kind of dingy, not to mention one of the supports of this pool is WAY out of plumb (I didn't build it). So next season I want to drain it, reset the pool to dead level (its about 1/2 inch off), use a gorilla pad and foam cove and put in a new liner.

The kids are pushing for super snazzy, as in fish on the walls and rocks on the bottom snazzy. I would like something interesting, but I don't know if I want it THAT snazzy.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

18. Back To Top    #18

...feeling like this time of year with the spring storms - and the fact that the pool is pretty near my horse barns - I ought to seek out a new liner preprinted with leaves, sticks, dead bugs and dirt.

Dave-
    Birds love my pool! We have a plague of Doves and also the neighbors turkeys love to gaze into the water (did you know turkeys can swim? They can!). Do you think the fish liner would attract or repel the birds? Something to consider...

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by phonedave View Post
    I have to start the process of looking for a new one for next season. The one I have now is kind of dingy, not to mention one of the supports of this pool is WAY out of plumb (I didn't build it). So next season I want to drain it, reset the pool to dead level (its about 1/2 inch off), use a gorilla pad and foam cove and put in a new liner.

The kids are pushing for super snazzy, as in fish on the walls and rocks on the bottom snazzy. I would like something interesting, but I don't know if I want it THAT snazzy.

-dave
    That's funny! lol