Intex 2650 Sand Filter Issues... Owners please chime in on advice / experience...

Waldog

May 27, 2014
Christmas, FL
Ok, having a few "issues" with my Intex Sand Filter... trying to find out if anyone else has experienced this and possible fixes or something I'm doing wrong.

1. Timer is quirky... Currently I have it set for 6 hours (raining a lot latley causing debris) and it will rarely cycle every 24 hours as designed.
a. often the filter will run non-stop even when set for 6 hours. I have even let it go overnight to see if it will shut off. It does not always, sometimes it will.
b. often the filter has to be reset on the GFCI to start. This interferes with timer operation. (Yes, I am using an extension cord.)

2. Backwashing the filter does seem to lose a bit of sand. I think I have resolved this by using the rinse option before backwashing. Is this normal?

3. When using the vaccum, I have good suction for the first several minutes, then the suction drops to almost nothing. Not always, but has done this several times. I have to shut off the pump and resart to increase pressure. Pressure gauge is always in the green and it is moving so it appears to be working fine. Also, this happens sometimes when the filter is running with just the skimmer. Same thing, I have to shut off the pump, and restart.

I am guessing these are quirks of a $150.00 sand filter? Anyone else experience this with these setups? Thanks!

I have a 2650 Intex pump. I haven't had any issues with mine.

1- the power switch is a rocker switch. Make sure your are putting it in the timer position, not the on position. If you are putting it in the timer position and you are within the warranty period I'd call Intex and see what they can do. I don't know what to say about the GFCI issue. I cut the cord on mine and put a twist lock on to plug into a GFCI protected outlet. It has never tripped.

2- I have just a little bit of sand in the sight glass. Mines performs fine so I've never questioned it or worried about it.

3- When I switched to the new twist lock Intex shutoff valves I noticed I get air in the system through the relief valve when I vacuum. I now put a piece of tape over the relief valve when I vacuum. Also my old plunger style would get debris build up behind the blue adapter that needed to be cleared periodically. Either way it sounds like you may have a situation with either air getting in from somewhere or maybe a blockage like a hose collapsing.

Thanks, I'll check the switch. I noticed that it appears it has three positions but I wasn't sure if they were referencing the actual timer dial on the sticker next to the switch. I'll look closer when I get home.

The extension cord could be problem... I plan to run something more permanent once I'm sure the pool will stay in its currently location next season.

Turn the rocker switch to the middle "off" position. Set the timer dial to the hours you want it to run. Flip the power switch in the direction with the dial looking sticker. You should now be running in timer mode.

If you would like to activate you pump and it is currently set to the timer on the switch, just move the hrs dial and the pump will kick on. moving the dial to another setting will cause the pump to run for that amount of time. I usually go from 2-4-2 and my pump will kick on and run for two hours. sometimes I leave it on the 4hrs if the pool was recently used.

I use a extension cord for my pump as well. Its a 110' 14awg cord plugged into a 15a Weather Resistant/Tamper Resistant GFCI outlet on a 15a breaker. I have never had the GFCI on the pump cord or the outlet the extension cord is plugged into trip.

However!

If I unplug the pump cord and plug it back into the extension cord I have to hit reset on the pump cord. If I unplug the extension cord from my outlet I again have to hit reset on the pump cord. lastly is the power go's out to the house. same thing I have to hit the reset on the pump cord. this will cause the pump to restart timer.

I use a 637R intex pump to run my solar, and the same thing happens with that cord too. They both acted that way since day 1.

I run both pumps off the same 110' extension cord and never tripped the breaker. I dont think much is on the 15a circuit that its on so this might not be the same for you.

The vacuum issue sounds like air getting in, if when you lose vacuum suction your pump inlet basket is not full of water you are getting air intrusion somewhere. id check the intex plunger valves first.

hi.sorry about the pump issues,i have only used my intex 2650 sand filter for a couple of months.it was working really good in the few months i used it.
firstly the sand issue,i also notice when you backwash u can see sand in the sight glass,but no sand comes out with the backwashed water.

the vacuum problem,you probably have an air leak some where,when i used the sand filter for the first time with the vacuum i also had the problem of losing suction.
make sure all the fittings are air tight,because remember the pump is a pretty big pump so any lose fitting will let air in and make you lose pressure.

hope i could have helped you :)

It does say in the instructions that come with the filter to rinse after every backwash. I believe it even said to rinse before using the filter the first time. Not positive, as I have had mine for a few years.

If you would like to activate you pump and it is currently set to the timer on the switch, just move the hrs dial and the pump will kick on. moving the dial to another setting will cause the pump to run for that amount of time. I usually go from 2-4-2 and my pump will kick on and run for two hours. sometimes I leave it on the 4hrs if the pool was recently used.

I use a extension cord for my pump as well. Its a 110' 14awg cord plugged into a 15a Weather Resistant/Tamper Resistant GFCI outlet on a 15a breaker. I have never had the GFCI on the pump cord or the outlet the extension cord is plugged into trip.

However!

If I unplug the pump cord and plug it back into the extension cord I have to hit reset on the pump cord. If I unplug the extension cord from my outlet I again have to hit reset on the pump cord. lastly is the power go's out to the house. same thing I have to hit the reset on the pump cord. this will cause the pump to restart timer.

I use a 637R intex pump to run my solar, and the same thing happens with that cord too. They both acted that way since day 1.

I run both pumps off the same 110' extension cord and never tripped the breaker. I dont think much is on the 15a circuit that its on so this might not be the same for you.

The vacuum issue sounds like air getting in, if when you lose vacuum suction your pump inlet basket is not full of water you are getting air intrusion somewhere. id check the intex plunger valves first.

Thanks! I noticed the feature of changing the timer would kick in the pump when set on the timer position.

And I agree about unplugging or plugging seems to trip the GFCI... now not sure if it's me bumping the test or reset or just a function of the process but I would guess it's a "safety" feature.

I thought it might be air as well, but no air comes out the return, I am guessing you are saying it could be air but it's stuck inside the pump and not coming back out the return?

Hi,when youre running the pump with just the skimmer do you also have the problem with the pressure??,when it's running is the pump basket fully filled with water?

I aslo had problem with air being stuck inside the pump/filter and when u turn the pump off the pump basket fills with water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.