Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I use these tabs?

1. Back To Top    #1
    St. Louis

Can I use these tabs?

Aqua Chem 3 inch chlorinating tabs, it says trichlor under ingredients. I DO NOT use tabs at all anymore since I found this site, but I have just drained most of my pool due to metal staining and my cya is a bit low. The old owners of the house left these tabs and I used them at first until I switched to liquid chlorine only. Can I temporarily use these to raise my cya a bit? Does anyone know if these contain any copper? I am just scared to use them because if they do I will have to start all over! I was told by someone that might just be where all of the staining came from in the first place.

I would buy new ones at pool store but they are out of the smallest container and I don't want to buy a lot.
    24' x 52" AG / Hayward Sand Filter
    Hayward Power-Flo 2 Speed Pump
    TF100 test kit / Pool Rover Hybrid Robot
    St. Louis, MO *GO CARDINALS*

2. Back To Top    #2
    South Carolina

Re: Can I use these tabs?

If they do not contain copper, they should be okay for use.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    DFW, Texas

Yep...those are OK to use. According to this link (, they do not contain any metals.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

East TN

I have some Aqua Chem 3" tablets and they are just trichlor and nothing else. Walmart sells them also.

Just for informational purposes, there are two different kinds of Aqua Chem powdered Dichlor shock at Walmart. They are orange boxes and bags. One has copper and the other does not. I think the one that has the copper says Clear Blue or something. This is unrelated to your tablets but just in case you have those and are going to use those to raise your CYA.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.