Best Plants for around the pool

May 20, 2014
Tucson, AZ
So i have looked around on this forum but have struggled to find information on the best plants to help create a backyard oasis. Given the Trouble Free Pool name i think there should be some talk of plants that add to the aesthetics around the pool but at the same time maintain the TFP goal. All the Green Thumbs feel free to chime in.

Thanks for your time
Splash on!!:swim:

You're in AZ, I have no clue what plants (other than cactus or succulents) do well in your part of the country. Perhaps some large pots of portulaca for the color and heat tolerance?
One helpful bit of advice we rec'd was to avoid the flowers and plants close to the pool that attract bees. We put all those that we thought might fit that description farther away from the pool deck itself.

I am currently exploring this topic, too! :)

I think recommendations are difficult because different plants are suited to different climates.

As a general rule, I think you would look for plants that are not "messy." or "bug-friendly" as YippieSkippy suggests. It's better if the plants don't drops leaves or flowers or seeds, etc. Some palm trees are "clean" and will simply lose the old fronds that are easy enough to remove. Some palms also drop tons of seeds and are a nightmare.

Also, look at lots of pictures to get ideas of a design you want. Even if you like an English cottage or New England style look, you can capture that style using plants suited to your area.

I would avoid plants that are messy, attract undesirable insects, and anything thorny/pointy around the pool deck. You might consider junipers and similar plants, if they are suited to your area. Native plants that avoid the characteristics mentioned above would also be a good choice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.