Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best Plants for around the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Best Plants for around the pool

So i have looked around on this forum but have struggled to find information on the best plants to help create a backyard oasis. Given the Trouble Free Pool name i think there should be some talk of plants that add to the aesthetics around the pool but at the same time maintain the TFP goal. All the Green Thumbs feel free to chime in.

Thanks for your time
    Splash on!!
    In Ground, 20K, freeform plaster, 32 X 16
    Hayward pro series sand filter
    single speed 1HP pump, Dayton mechanical timer
    G3 barracuda

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best Plants for around the pool

You're in AZ, I have no clue what plants (other than cactus or succulents) do well in your part of the country. Perhaps some large pots of portulaca for the color and heat tolerance?
    One helpful bit of advice we rec'd was to avoid the flowers and plants close to the pool that attract bees. We put all those that we thought might fit that description farther away from the pool deck itself.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

The bees are one i would definitely like to stay away from. As for succulents i have seen a few very appealing types that actually lack spikes. i'll look into the Portulaca thanks for the heads up!
    In Ground, 20K, freeform plaster, 32 X 16
    Hayward pro series sand filter
    single speed 1HP pump, Dayton mechanical timer
    G3 barracuda

4. Back To Top    #4

Yuccas and palms ..... http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2383/

Red yuccas and soft leaf yuccas aren't too pointy.
    Finally completed March 2014
    IG 27,300 gal 35'x16' 3.5'/5.5'/8' diving pool, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, De FNS 60, 3HP Intelliflo VF pump, Easy Touch 4, Kreapy Krauly Platnium, 3/4 Hp booster pump, raised stone wall w/ 2 stone scuppers, Stonescapes aqua blue mini pebble plaster

5. Back To Top    #5

I am currently exploring this topic, too!

I think recommendations are difficult because different plants are suited to different climates.

As a general rule, I think you would look for plants that are not "messy." or "bug-friendly" as YippieSkippy suggests. It's better if the plants don't drops leaves or flowers or seeds, etc. Some palm trees are "clean" and will simply lose the old fronds that are easy enough to remove. Some palms also drop tons of seeds and are a nightmare.

Also, look at lots of pictures to get ideas of a design you want. Even if you like an English cottage or New England style look, you can capture that style using plants suited to your area.
    Swimming!: 19x32 IG rectangular pool, 22,500 gallons; 3' - 6.5'; open spa w/ 6 jets; raised wall w/ 1 sheer descent and 2 minijets, 2 color-changing LED pool lights, 1 spa light; Jandy 2 1/2 HP 2 speed Pump, Jandy cartridge filter (320 SQFT), Diamondbrite Cool Blue

6. Back To Top    #6

I would avoid plants that are messy, attract undesirable insects, and anything thorny/pointy around the pool deck. You might consider junipers and similar plants, if they are suited to your area. Native plants that avoid the characteristics mentioned above would also be a good choice.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.