Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aerator to increase pH

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation Aerator to increase pH

I've read more than once on here that some posters have made an aerator they use to increase the pool pH. Does anyone have any pictures or plans on how to make one? I'm looking for something in 120v.
    -38,000 gallon pool and 1600 gallon spa
    -Triton II TR140 sand filter
    -In ground

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aerator to increase pH

Most just hook up to the return jet and spray the water in the air ... No power required.

Or you could run an air compressor into the water, or run a waterfall, or spa. Anything that gets water exposed to air.

You have a spa, why not run that?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I dont know if inground pool returns are made the same as above ground returns. If so you could make this and point it upwards to where is shoots the return water up out of the water. It will aerate that way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

You generally get more aeration forcing a water flow into the surface of the water to create many tiny bubbles. See this post, this thread, this thread, and this thread.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    You generally get more aeration forcing a water flow into the surface of the water to create many tiny bubbles. See this post, this thread, this thread, and this thread.
    Yea I knew it was probably not the most efficient way to aerate, but it works fairly well and figured I would throw an option out there.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

How long will it take for the pH to go up? Assuming it's a 38k gallon pool, 7.0pH, 120 TA, 5.0FC. I come in at 5am and pool's gotta open at 9am. Will running it this log have effective pH increase?
    -38,000 gallon pool and 1600 gallon spa
    -Triton II TR140 sand filter
    -In ground

7. Back To Top    #7

With decent aeration, you should see it move from at least 7.0 to 7.2 in that 4 hour timeframe, but it may take more like a day to get it up to 7.5 or higher. The outgassing is faster at low pH and higher TA as shown in this table that shows the degree of over-carbonation of pool water at various TA and pH levels.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"