Stock pump too small?

Greg C

Jun 15, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I have the below mentioned pool that I'll start setting up this weekend. I've read elsewhere that many above ground pool companies equip their pools with stock pumps that are a bit undersized. Will the pump that came with my pool be sufficient? Or should I consider sizing up? I see 1500 and 2500 gpm pumps. Would something like a 2500 be overkill with setup? Thanks.

I would definitely recommend switching to one of the larger Intex sand filters. I spent 1-1/2 summers determined to prove the stock Intex 1500 gph cartridge filter was adequate. Do not waste your time, energy. Upgrade to one of the larger Intex sand filters now, it is worth it in every way.

I too have the Intex SWG and was worried about backwashing and water balancing. Turned out to be a non issue. So much easier to deal with than all the hassle and poor performance of their cartridge pumps and filters.

I have the below mentioned pool that I'll start setting up this weekend. I've read elsewhere that many above ground pool companies equip their pools with stock pumps that are a bit undersized. Will the pump that came with my pool be sufficient? Or should I consider sizing up? I see 1500 and 2500 gpm pumps. Would something like a 2500 be overkill with setup? Thanks.

It depends on how long you see yourself sticking with this pool. I had one for two years before we upgraded to the larger Ultra Frame with a Hayward pump and filter. The little Intex pump is just a lot more filter cleaning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.