Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stock pump too small?

1. Back To Top    #1

Stock pump too small?

I have the below mentioned pool that I'll start setting up this weekend. I've read elsewhere that many above ground pool companies equip their pools with stock pumps that are a bit undersized. Will the pump that came with my pool be sufficient? Or should I consider sizing up? I see 1500 and 2500 gpm pumps. Would something like a 2500 be overkill with setup? Thanks.
    15'x48" Intex above ground pool -4440 gallons
    Cartridge filter (stock)
    1000 gpm pump (stock)
    Intex Krystal Clear saltwater system (CG-28661)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stock pump too small?

Hello,
    I think it should be 1000 gph (gallons hour) not minute. The 1000 should be fine for your system. Your going to need it to run for the SWCG to produce enough chlorine gas for your pool.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

I would definitely recommend switching to one of the larger Intex sand filters. I spent 1-1/2 summers determined to prove the stock Intex 1500 gph cartridge filter was adequate. Do not waste your time, energy. Upgrade to one of the larger Intex sand filters now, it is worth it in every way.

I too have the Intex SWG and was worried about backwashing and water balancing. Turned out to be a non issue. So much easier to deal with than all the hassle and poor performance of their cartridge pumps and filters.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I have the below mentioned pool that I'll start setting up this weekend. I've read elsewhere that many above ground pool companies equip their pools with stock pumps that are a bit undersized. Will the pump that came with my pool be sufficient? Or should I consider sizing up? I see 1500 and 2500 gpm pumps. Would something like a 2500 be overkill with setup? Thanks.
    It depends on how long you see yourself sticking with this pool. I had one for two years before we upgraded to the larger Ultra Frame with a Hayward pump and filter. The little Intex pump is just a lot more filter cleaning.
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

5. Back To Top    #5

If you can get the larger filter separately that would be good, larger filter = more time between cleanings. Smaller pump = less energy usage.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida