Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAM or not?

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAM or not?

I think I've been true to the TFP method, haven't added anything but salt, cya, and elbow grease brushing the walls, been using my TF100 to check the FC regularly. I've still been having issues with what looks like rust on the light blue/white liner, but upon closer inspection (dive underwater and look with goggles), it looks more like green algae in a few spots. The spots it pops up are along the edges in the deep end where flat bottom meets angled walls, the hard parts to get with either the wall brush or pole vac.

I am always passing the OCLT, water always looks crystal clear, CC is always 0 - 0.5.

I have to admit, I perform my CYA test at night, indoors, under fluorescent light, and I am still "getting the hang of it". I do get consistent results though, was 60, but recently down to 50 after i manually added 3" right before massive rains brought the water level up 3" to the overflow

Any thoughts on algae popping up in very localized places...circulation issue? This is our first year with solar cover, and it seems to occur more when the cover is left on for a few days without removing.

and of course tonights test results...
    FC 3.5
    CC 0.5
    pH 7.5
    TA 60
    CH 25
    CYA 50

I shut the SWG off, will check OCL, because the FC looks really low. FC was 6.5 4 days ago, and I thought I had the SWG set at a decent maintain level.
    TF100 kit, 26k Gallon 18x36 Vinyl inground by Blue Haven Pool, TurboCell T-15 SWG, SmartPure ozonator,
    Hayward SmartFilter cartridge with 1.5hp dual spd. Hayward SmartMax Star Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAM or not?

I prefer to do the OCLT closer to shock level FC. I would boost the FC up with bleach and do the OCLT. Although if you see algae, then you need to SLAM.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Renegade! Seems like you have a handle on the whole TFP system. Strange how that one spot keeps "popping" up algae spots on you. The only thing I could suggest is to somehow find a way to brush those spots good and SLAM the pool so they don't come back. You gotta treat tuff algae tuffer!!
    16,000 gallon Oval Vinyl Liner Pool (new liner 2014)
    Custom built in 1999 to be half in-ground and half out (sloped yard) vermiculite bottom, laser sighted to Florida Room and Deck
    Purex Triton Model cc100 Cartridge Filter, 100 gpm flow rate, Penfair 1HP Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Strange... FC 4.5, CC 0.
    This may have been the first time I actually measured 0 CC, usually there is at least a slight pink tint after adding the 5 drops of reagent.
    TF100 kit, 26k Gallon 18x36 Vinyl inground by Blue Haven Pool, TurboCell T-15 SWG, SmartPure ozonator,
    Hayward SmartFilter cartridge with 1.5hp dual spd. Hayward SmartMax Star Pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Take your cover off and let the pool breathe daily and give it a good brushing! The only time I would recommend covering the pool and letting it covered is for vacation.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeT View Post
    I have to admit, I perform my CYA test at night, indoors, under fluorescent light, and I am still "getting the hang of it". I do get consistent results though, was 60, but recently down to 50 after i manually added 3" right before massive rains brought the water level up 3" to the overflow
    With the way you are doing your CYA test, I would say your CYA is much higher than what you are measuring and you may not have been maintaining enough chlorine. Test it again in daylight with the sun to your back.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.