Had to drain pool 12", refill with tap water, water looks a bit green

steveg_nh

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 7, 2013
Southern NH
I had to drop the pool level about 12" or so last night, so the patio builder could finish the last item today, which was to caulk the gap between the coping stones and the liner joint. I've been filling with my tap water since 4pm, and I'm just about there. Another hr or so and I should be where I want it. My tap water is a public utility that pulls its water from deep bedrock wells. It is treated for safety and all that but I'm not sure what the mineral/metal content is like. I noticed a greenish tint before the sun went down (that doesn't look like algae does), so I'm assuming maybe copper? I will get a new set of test results, and search on this to see what I can find out, but hopefully it's not too bad.

Any advice? Is there a way I can test for metals with the TF-100 kit? Thanks.

The TF100 does not include a test for metals. Besides, metals that are currently coloring the water won't show up on a metals test anyway.

If it is a metal, it is much more likely to be iron, rather than copper. Copper is extremely unlikely in fill water.

Wait to see if it is still tinting the water tomorrow. It might well simply get filtered out or settle to the bottom.

Right, Iron! I should have known that. Thanks.

If it does just settle, just vac it out? I would imagine that would pass right through my Polaris 280's bag...Here's my test results:

FC 4.5
CC 0
pH 7.4
TA 100
CH 80
CYA 40
Salt 2700

I'm seeing a drop in CYA and salt, which makes sense. I dumped a good amount of water. Given a CYA of 40, I think I shouldn't boost FC right now. But first bring CYA up to about 60, let ph rise on it's own (it's borderline) and add salt to get to at least 3000.

Other than that, just run my filter and let is do it's thing. I don't see any haziness or cloudiness to the water either, just that "tint".

Definitely looks better this morning. If it is iron and it settled, will that eventually discolor the liner? The pool was filled with water from a delivery service in the fall, and I would imagine the water wasn't much different. should I really not be worrying about this if it looks ok? Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.