Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: low salt

1. Back To Top    #1

low salt

I have a R J SERIES CIRCUPOOL salt module that keeps reading low salt.This is my third year of using this system without any problems in the past.I have even drained pool ,refilled and reloaded with new salt at the proper amounts of salt and stabilizer.Whats up?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: low salt

Welcome to TFP!

There are four basic possibilities. The salt level might actually be too low. The cell plates might have calcium scaling. The cell is nearing the end of it's lifetime. Or the SWG is broken in some more complex way. The first is the most likely, do you have a strong reason believe the salt level is not too low? You can check for calcium scaling by removing the cell and inspecting the cell plates for white chalky deposits, For lifetime, SWG cells typically last three to five years, longer if substantially oversized, shorter if undersized.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

How are you testing the salt readings? Are you just going by what the unit tells you? It's a good idea to test it yourself with a proper test kit/strip so you have a ball park idea if what it really is
    From my understanding of what I have read the low salt can be caused by a cell that is failing or has a buildup of calcium. Have you cleaned it already?

13k IG pebble pool w/waterfall, 1hp whisperflow pump, pentair ccp320 cartridge filter
    Circupool SI45+ swg
    TF100 +speed stir Taylor 1766 salt test

4. Back To Top    #4

It is a self cleaning unit

5. Back To Top    #5

None are actually self cleaning. You still need to inspect and clean if required.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

SWG can lose their calibration.
    My salt generator had to be recalibrated twice. It read low salt but the level was actually fine. I did not know & went by what SWG was telling me and consequently ended up with too much salt which required a partial drain.
    This may not be your problem but I would test the water & not go by SWG readings alone.

Pool size: 17x33'4 water surface area: 591 sq ft. Depth: 36 to 7 ft. 23,300 gallons.
    IG. Gunite pebblefina with travertine coping. 18 inch travertine trough waterfall. 2 deck jets I aerator . Aqualink Z SWG. Auto floor cleaner PCC 2000. Jandy stealth variable speed pool pump, cartridge filter and never line valves. Auto fill.
    Taylor k2006 test kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

The calibration (at least on Hayward GoldLine) corrects the average samples Salt reading on the main display as when it is initially installed it is an average of recorded instantaneous readings.
    If you had the system powered up when you changed the water it would have read ~0 salt for sometime and hence would require many readings at "proper" level before the display would properly reflect the current salt level.
    I discovered this after opening my pool this spring. My PB had over salted my pool at installation last year and since he had no clue how to setup the SWG properly, the display read 2500 all season.
    After pumping down and topping up twice (other issues) it was still reading 2500 this spring, when the pool store was reporting 1200.
    Research lead me to here, and the process to view last instantaneous measurement, and resetting the unit.
    That said, the "low salt" alert on a Hayward is a separate alarm LED that reports on the "current" state, rather than the displayed average, and will illuminate regardless of "calibration".
    16x32 - 11,600 Gallon (44000 liter) PoolWERX Vinyl lined / Steel walled Flatback Kidney
    1.85HP Hayward TriStar - 2" TigerFlex plumbing - Hayward Pro Series S-244T 300LB Sand filter w/ Vari-FLO Valve
    Hayward Aquarite Low Salt SWCG w/ 25,000 gallon TurboCell (T-CELL-LS-CUL)
    Hayward H-Series 200,000BTU Natural Gas Heater (H-200FDN)