Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help, pool keeps turning green.

1. Back To Top    #1

Help, pool keeps turning green.

I have been fighting with a green pool for a month,, It went cloudy grey a few times after shocking and using green to clean looked like it was going to clear up,and a day later it turned green on me, I have changed the sand out 2 weeks ago. I have used algeacide, green to clean and have thrown some shock in. I am getting to the point of giving up on it. My chlorine and PH keep going up and down. I have been stuck in this cycle all month. Shocking it, going grey, than back to green. I don't know what to do at this point. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Pool is above ground vinyl, 10,000 gallons. Using sand filter.

FC- 10
    TC- 10
    CH- 310
    CYA- 60
    TA- 110
    PH- 8.0

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Help, pool keeps turning green.

Welcome to the forum. Read how to SLAM your pool in pool school. Read it again. Order one of our recommended test kits. No more algaecide, green to clean, or "shock". JUST STOP! Take a deep breath and follow our proven methods.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Help, pool keeps turning green.

Welcome! We can get you fixed up, if you're willing to take control of the pool.

First, stop buying expensive fixes that don't at the pool store.
    Second, make the investment in a proper test kit. With a greenish pool, I'd recommend the TF100 with the XL option. It should see you through this summer and partway into next and you may never have to step foot inside the pool store again. It will pay for itself in one trip not made to the pool store.
    Third, check out some of these success stories. You just need to do what these people did:

What they did was study pool school, get their own test kit, and perform the Shock Level And Maintain process - the SLAM. What you've been doing is beating the algae back, but never killing it all completely. That lets it reproduce. You need to knock it down and kick it while its down until it's dead.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!