Normal daily chlorine useage

May 26, 2014
New Jersey
Hi All,

This is my first year using the BBB method and so far I'm very pleased with the results. I would just like to check with the folks here that have been at it for a while to make sure of something. On last check my CYA was below 30. I added some stabilizer yesterday so I'm waiting a few days to check the level again. I've been using an FC goal of 4.5 which leads me to my 2 questions. I guess I should add here that my pool is approximately 13,000 gallons.

1. Is 3 cups to a quart of 8.5% chlorine per day normal usage
  2. Is it unusual to have no CC at all

My pool does get a lot of sun and recently on the days we haven't had sun we've gotten quite a bit of rain. I'm hoping this is normal but being a newbie to this I want to make sure I'm not missing anything and with it letting bad things happen that I'm going to pay for later.

Thanks

Hi,
a quart a day is not unusal. FOr a 13K gallon with CYA of 20, .... 3 cups will raise FC by 1.2
See bottom of pool math where it says....Effects of Adding.... make selections for whatever it is you might want to add, and it will tell you what to sort of expect before you actually add it.
Be sure to put your gallons at the top and your NOW reading in the NOW column.

Next, it is not unusual to have zero CC's. It is actually expected to have no CC's if your FC is being maintained based on your CYA.
If you cant measure any CC, then you are doing an excellent job! Keep it up! :goodjob:

Rainwater really will not have any effect to speak of on your chemistry.

hope this helps,

Hi All,

This is my first year using the BBB method and so far I'm very pleased with the results. I would just like to check with the folks here that have been at it for a while to make sure of something. On last check my CYA was below 30. I added some stabilizer yesterday so I'm waiting a few days to check the level again. I've been using an FC goal of 4.5 which leads me to my 2 questions. I guess I should add here that my pool is approximately 13,000 gallons.

1. Is 3 cups to a quart of 8.5% chlorine per day normal usage
  2. Is it unusual to have no CC at all

My pool does get a lot of sun and recently on the days we haven't had sun we've gotten quite a bit of rain. I'm hoping this is normal but being a newbie to this I want to make sure I'm not missing anything and with it letting bad things happen that I'm going to pay for later.

Thanks

So I'm still wondering about my chlorine usage. All I want to do is try and confirm that I don't have a problem brewing. Over a few weeks I boosted my CYA to 50 because my pool is in the sun almost all day. I've been adding between 1 and 2 quarts of 8.5% chlorine per day using a FC target of 5 and my CC has been holding steady at .5. Today just for the heck of it I did a chlorine test at 10:30am (I usually do my test and adjust at 5pm) and I was at a FC level of 3.5. I added a quart of chlorine at that point. I tested the chlorine again at 5:30pm and was down to a FC level of 2. It was a clear sunny day so the pool was in the sun the whole time.

So my question... Is that a normal amount of chlorine to burn off in that amount of time, and if so should I raise my CYA even higher than 50?

Thanks.

I would be more concerned about the loss overnight. Perform an OCLT to confirm or rule out a problem. If you pass then whatever you are losing during the day is just normal burn off.

Sent from my HTC One

Thanks Donldson. I'm new to this and forgot about doing an OCLT to see if I had a problem. My loss of FC was 1ppm over night so I think I'm good there. Between 6:30 am and 6:30 pm I lost 2.5 ppm. Is that good and I should stay the course or would it be worth raising my CYA a bit (currently about 50) since the pool gets almost all day sun.

On another note for anybody else considering this method and spending the money on a decent testing kit.... I am thrilled with the results so far. My water has never been this clear and can truly be referred to as sparkling! Thanks to everybody that has helped me here in this great forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.