South Florida Greener

Apr 27, 2014
Hello TFP crew,

First thank you all. I've been reading for a couple weeks, ordered my test kit (K-2006) and started my mad scientist a couple nights ago.

While his whole process is intimidating, your posts to others were warm and inviting, like I want my pool to be again.

Backstory: moved in a year ago. Have used trichlor pucks for the past year (not knowing any better), month ago lost the pool to a lovely shade of green.

Read up on SLAM and have started the process.

Pool is approx 12300 gallons IG, Concrete

First readings were
FC 40
PH 7.6
TA 90
CH 40
CYA about 250

Pulled the pucks, bought bleach and followed pool calculator. I did originally miscalculate the size of pool and over estimated the gallon size of the pool, so I've screwed the calcium up. I put the hose in the deep end and a sump pump on the stair in the shallow end and swapped out some water Sunday. Then added bleach and chemicals per PoolCalculator

Current readings:

FC 30.5
PH 7.4
TA 75
CH 500
CYA 100

Yesterday before starting SLAM
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402965618.374593.jpg

Welcome to TFP!

Your numbers are a little odd. Why did the CH go way up from replacing water when the CYA went down as expected?

You should keep replacing water and lower the CYA even more.

and order more CYA and FAS-DPD reagent, you are going to need them.

I did the drain/fill last night through this morning.

Here are my current numbers:
FC 13.5
CC .5
PH 7.6
TA 100
CH 275
CYA 45

I've brushed the pool, cleaned the filter and added bleach per the calculator to take it to my new shock level of 18.

So, I'm happy to say I've passed the OCLT making it through the night two nights ago without losing Chlorine.

My FC levels are slowly dropping down into the accepted range (FC 13 as of this morning) from Shock and we've finally been able to enjoy the pool. Now if it would stop storming daily...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403287595.657245.jpg

12,300 IG plaster pool
Cartridge filter with a Jacuzzi single speed pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Current test results

FC 7.5
PH 7.6
TA 100
CH 250
CYA 47

Now my goal is to just keep the pool in this range.
Poolcalculator states 4-8 for FC.

FC over the last couple of days

9 (finally was sunny enough and got to play in the pool)

Looking forward to an enjoyable pool over the summer, thanks to the TFP method.

Thank you!

12,300 IG plaster pool
Cartridge filter with a Jacuzzi single speed pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.