Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: sight glass filled with algae

1. Back To Top    #1

sight glass filled with algae

How do you clean a sight glass on a Hayward Vari-Flo filter. Galss has turned green after a an algae bloom 2 weeks a go.
    Is the glass removable I tryed to twist the glass and it does not turn. The water tests good, chlorine, PH and water clarity are excellent. I vacuum every other day and then backwash.

Altoona PA

3/4 penair
    18" sand

New owner

2. Back To Top    #2
    Ashland PA

Re: sight glass filled with algae

The site glass is removable on my filter. I would suggest that you do a backwash with shock levels of chlorine in your water - it should kill the algae. Make sure you run your chlorine at shock level according to your cya level until it holds overnight. If there is algae in your site glass, then I wonder about your filter , You don't want the algae to come back, so I would make sure it is gone by keeping it at shock level until the chlorine holds overnight, and backwashing the filter before returning the chlorine back to normal levels.
    16x33 fiberglass pool sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3
    Eastern Pennsylvania

Re: sight glass filled with algae

I occasionally have green algae in my sight glass although I have none visible in the pool and the CCs test 0. The algae in the sight glass get washed out during backwash/rinse.

My sight glass is removable. I, too, have a Hayward Vari-Flo filter.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.