Need Advice on pool build/price in FL

I need some advice on a pool build, Florida north of Daytona. I want to gauge whether the price I have received is on target, or high/low. I have engaged a pool builder who came highly recommended from a trusted source. The total price I recieved was a little higher than I anticipated, but who knows if what I anticipated is reasonable (that is what I am trying to figure out here). Below is the basic build specs, please let me know if any other information is needed to ascertain. Any assistance/experience people can provide is greatly appreciated.

630 square ft pool, geometric, not quite rectangular but close.

Sun shelf, bench running down one side (about 34 ft total length)

Two fountain raised water feature

1 inch glass block tile around sides at waterline and on water feature

3.5 shallow end extending to 7 ft deep end

Shotcrete, 2 inch minimum schedule 40 pvc plumbing with 3-ways at the pump
3 returns, 1 skimmer, 1 cleaner line, 2 main drains

All Pentair equipment (1 intelliflo variable pump, eco cartridge filter, intelliclor IC40 salt system, 2 5g multicolor LED pool lights)

140k btu Pentair ultratemp pool heat pump

700 sq ft of French pattern travertine pavers and bullnose coping

Screen enclosure with 9ft walls, two doors

Pebble finish (Pre-mix Marblelite)

Two Pentair LED bubblers

The basics, electrical, plumbing, basic site work, etc.

What is a reasonable cost in N. FL? Am I missing anything for recommended features/equipment? Thanks for any assistance!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. We are in florida too. I really can't speculate on fairness of the price too much but I would suggest talking to a few other builders in your area and compare, not only price but also look at their finished products and talk to their references.

It looks like you are wanting several higher end options so the price is going to be high. All those features add up quick. It could definitely be done cheaper by using lower end options and eliminating some things but would you be happy with it? I agree with getting a few more quotes but I doubt if you'll see it much cheaper with those specs.

Yeah, pool prices are somewhat regional it seems and depend a lot on local market condtions. Your best bet is get a couple of more bids to compare.

The best I could give you is Considering your specs with options to what we might get here.
That pool without the enclosure here in my part of Texas would easily be in the 50 - 55K range.

It's hard to say with the screen enclosure added. That could add a nice chunk of change to your total cost. Are those costs separated out?

I agree with everyone that getting other estimates will give you a better sense of what's worth paying for. Don't discount a good reputation and those "hard to value qualities".

Good luck!

Just for reference.
I was quoted nearly the same price for a poured concrete 16x32 kidney, 1 skimmer, one side suction port, 2 returns, 30" stamped concrete perimeter deck, 2x LED lights, solar cover and roller, and similar pentair pump, heater, filter, SWG.
I'm in Ottawa Canada.
If I'd gotten a quote in your range, I'd have a concrete pool now rather than vinyl, and probably wouldn't want to drown my PB.

I'm here in Florida and I grew up just south of Daytona, maybe I'm way off base here, but speaking as somone who has no idea other than a couple of friends who have had IG pools built... 60K sounds outrageous! I'd say 25-30k would be the most I would spend. IMHO pools add absolutley no value to a home, and reason to be conservative with the build of said pools. Very few folks want to buy a home with a pool. I personally prefer the ABG option because when the kids and grandkids are grown you can take it down and be done if you don't want to maintain it anymore. I would say you should be able to beat that quote even if you called around just a bit. There are folks out there looking to do work since our economy is not like it was during the housing boom. Heck, if your at least fairly handy you could probably have the pool done and plumbed, buy the equipment yourself and install it. Sorry, I just can't help but think how you could save on that price tag. I guess what I am saying is the pool should match the house in terms of cost IMHO (and maybe yours does). One of my neighbors had a pool built about 3 years ago, rectangular shape, fairly deep end nice pool and concrete deck for around 25K. (House valued at the time at 250K) Screened enclosures are his business so he scored in that regard and did that himself. That sounds fairly resonable if you are looking for a pool IMHO. I guess maybe I'd have to see your design. I mean 60K!!!! I just don't see how you would ever get to enjoy it that much to justify the price. I'm sure people think I'm crazy to say that, but others of you are thinking it!!! LOL

But to each his own. :) Maybe I would have build an IGP when I was younger but not now. LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A lot definitely depends on your area, if there are a lot of dealers and competition you can sometimes get competitive bids that drive the price down. Here where it's almost impossible to find a builder you don't have that luxury. I was quoted $30,000+ for a larger doughboy in ground pool, umm no

I think you should get more quotes. $60k is very high for a pool, however the market is picking up. We had out pool built for 1/3 the cost however we had it built 5 years ago. My PB says that the main cost size is not directly proportional to cost as the concrete trucks have to come out at least once.:cheers::cheers:

Thanks for all the helpful comments and suggestions so far everyone, several great points have been made. I am getting some further estimates for the project as was consistently suggested. I like this PB and I know people who have been pleased with his work, so there is value there, but I still agree I need to explore other options. I do think I am dealing with a market that has seen increased building activity and that has increased the price. That said, I am having major "sticker shock". The screen accounts for about 11k of the estimate. If anyone in North Florida has a good recommendation for a PB I should consider soliciting an estimate from, I welcome suggestions. I do prefer recommendations where you or someone you know well has had good success with the builder. Also, any further experiences with cost/value from North or Central Florida are also appreciated. Thanks again everyone, this board has been a great resource in my research phase and I appreciate all the assistance now that I am nearing the build phase.

Another thing to consider, which was my case, different builders will use the same subs. When shopping I narrowed it down to 2 builders (one build the pool next door) and the price difference between them was over 10k. I couldn't afford to spend that much so I dropped the one from next door. So far the shotcrete and tile crews were the same that build my neighbors pool. Therefore in my opinion, I'm not really loosing quality wise had I gone with the other builder. So you have to wonder where the extra money comes into play. It all boils down to doing your homework.

May I ask how the build went and what companies you received quotes from?

We are just outside of Gainesville and currently looking for PB to get quotes from. Hoping to stay under 30k for small-medium kidney or rectangle with small sunshelf and possible SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.