Jun 16, 2014
SAN ANTONIO, TX
FC: 10.4
cc: 0
TA: 75 ppm
CH: 400 ppm
cya: 100+
pH: 7.4

Have pool service. My cartridge filter keeps clogging often. I can almost clean it daily. pressure rises 10-20 psi after a few days. no debris in pool. water is almost crystal clear.

when my filter gets full the pressure goes to 40 psi

today pool guy acid washes filter to make it flow. works great! very strong flow.

I asked pool guy to only use liquid chlorine moving forward. he didn't like that idea. pool guy says that it just needs more tabs.

not sure what is causing the filter to clog so fast? any suggestions?

I think I might be on the edge of a algae bloom b/c with crazy high CYA and CH the FC is not working very well and filter is filtering algae instead of FC killing it?

Thanks for any help

-clifft

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You have multiple issue here I think. The filter is doing its job by catching something in the water. If there was nothing to catch, the pressure would not rise. We recommend cleaning the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. If you are letting it get to 40psi ... that is WAY too long to wait.

For a 14k pool, I would recommend at least a 200 sqft filter, so what you have is quite a bit smaller than that. Which will require more frequent cleanings.

You are right that you likely have algae due to the very high CYA levels and the tablets that your pool "professional" insists on using are making the problem worse. I would fire them and take control.

How did you get those test results?
Likely you need to replace a lot of water to lower the CYA and then you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process using one of the Recommended Test Kits.

Thanks for the reply and kind welcome. Using Taylor k-2006 for the test kit.

I was afraid I will have to replace most of the water. Here in TX we are under drought conditions, so that is not a wise ecological choice, but one i may have to make anyway.

I want to do a OCLT test but keep forgetting to do it at the right times.

I too had a similar problem. I was using pucks during this past off season, and I got my CYA up to 100+. When the weather heated up, I couldn't keep the algae growth under control. I thought I was shocking the pool by adding 2.5 gal 12.5% CL, but I wasn't using poolcalc to see that wasn't near enough given my high CYA level. After what seemed like $100 worth of CL, I decided to install a SWG, but before I did that, I needed to get my pool under control.

I bought a K-2006 and started testing. I drained 13" from pool which brought CYA down to 60. I SLAM'd pool that night, and was immediately able to pass OCLT. Water is now crystal clear and I am now adding CL at what appears to be daily rate of 32-48 oz.

I am now working to get remaining chemistry in balance so I can install my SWG.

Good luck,
Jim

I am only aware of RO available in So Cal and parts of AZ. With the water restriction you guys have, I would think that is an ideal market for RO, assuming you had a waiver to use water (there is still a good amount of water lost in the process).

You say 100+ for your CYA. Have you thought about a dilution CYA test to get a more exact number? Do,the normal CYA test on a 50/50 mix of pool water and tap water, then double the results.

If you are under severe water use restrictions, you can maintain the pool with high CYA. You will just have to be diligent with testing and have a high FC level in proportion to your CYA. For a long time I had to run FC in the 15 range.

Make sure the pool guy knows no more tabs in the chlorinator, or I like the idea of firing him and doing it yourself. It's really only a few minutes a day to test and add necessary bleach. Another thing is to think about a liquidator or stenner pump. With auto-liquid chlorinating it's not the end of the world if you miss a day her end there.

Is there any way to "harvest" whatever rain you get off the roof and into the pool?

In the end, no one is going to care for your pool like you will.

thanks tim5055 for the feedback. Those mirror my thoughts as well. After vacations end this summer the pool company goes bye bye. Liquid chlorine dispenser sounds like a good way to go for the $.
Use upir spare time to soak up some of the knowledge her. It is condensed in the Pool School link at the top of every page. It is a great community here, but we do ask that you read and try to understand the information being taught. Questions are always welcome and folks will try to direct you and teach you the methods. To quote duraleigh, "Our goal is to teach you what has been proven time and time again and then let you use that information to your benefit.”

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would still recommend getting that CYA down. If it is completely impossible to drain that water down and refill, you are going to need to compensate by having higher FC levels. With a CYA of 100 you need to hold your FC level at 12 for an algae free pool. If you have algae blooms you have to hold at 39! That is a LOT of bleach/chlorine/shock! I would also do the 50/50 test as mentioned above and see what the result is from that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.