Switching from cartridge filter to sand filter

Jun 16, 2014
Douglasville GA
Hello,
I've got a few issues so far this summer. I'm fairly new as in just started last year in attempts to take care of this pool. It's been a challenge as large trees are way too close to the pool but that's another story.

First, my cartridge filter was left outside during our winter and has to be replaced as a piece broke off and it's not filtering properly. It's actually about 6yrs old too. My pool is only 18 ft round approximately 8,000 gallons water

I want to upgrade to a Hayward sand filter. I've been calling around to several pool stores and online.. I get different answers with each call which only adds to my confusion. One store says that I have to get a 21" Hayward sand filter because I have a Hayward 1.5 hp pump and if I go with a smaller filter the large hp pump will blow the laterals right off. First, I hate to admit that I'm not sure what the lateral is! I admitted this and the saleswoman said a lateral was like fingers that move or filter the sand. The next pool store says that I can purchase a 16" Hayward sand filter without any problem but can't go any smaller due to the pump size.

Another question I have after my phone calls to pool stores: which sand is best? Zeo sand or the other? The salesperson said that you can use 50 lbs less sand if you go with Zeo sand. Is this true?

Fortunately, I remember this website from last year and I feel confident that I will receive the most appropriate answer here.
If you could recommend any specific attachments that I might require in going from a cartridge to a sand filter I would appreciate it. I also require a new test kit too.
Thank you!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!

Can you be more specific about what pump you have? The HP does not give the entire story.

For you size pool, I would recommend at least the 16" bigger is fine and will require cleaning less often. I would NOT recommend zeo sand ... very mixed reviews. Stick with regular pool sand.

The test kit question is easy: Recommended Test Kits where the TF-100 is the best value.

Hi Jason,

The pump is about 3 yrs old and says Hayward 1.5HP Flo-LX. It's strange as the new Hayward pump in the catalog now says that a Power flow LX is a 1 hp not a 1.5hp. We got the larger pump as the filter cartridge was larger than required but came with the pool. The cartridge filter was so large and difficult to clean. I'm just ready to try out the sand filters.

I will order a test kit when I get home tonight.
Thank you,
Tina

Usually it is good to have a large cartridge filter because you should not need to clean it as often ... of course that assumes you are maintaining the chemistry correctly and not getting algae. Realize that sand filters tend to be slower at cleaning up a cloudy pool than cartridges. I am wondering if you concerns have more to do with chemistry problems than the filter.

Depending on the service factor ... the 2 pumps you mention may be identical.

Hi Tina,
actually, in any case, the biggest filter you can afford will be the best. It reduces time between cleanings and the lower pressure on the larger filter is a good thing.
Over the long tern (years) you will appreciate the longer time between backwashings.

dont use the zeo. Use regular pool sand like jblizzle said. Also, there have been some very negative reviews about Quickcrete brand sand. The grains are too small and blow back into the pool.

My cartridge filter still works but a part did break off during last attempts at getting the large filter out to clean it. Now have these weird tiny bubbles all over the pool coming out of the return jet. I thought that I put too much bleach in (just a gallon) but after reading on this site I'm wondering if its a leak? The filter is at least 6 years old and purchased at Rec warehouse.

A leak in the filter would not cause bubbles in the pool. The leak would have to be on the suction side (between the pool and pump) to pull air into the system. Do you see air in the pump?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Glenn,
Thanks for the link on Amazon. I ordered a 18 Hayward pro series sand filter. I also ordered some Magic Lube for the o-ring. Does the filter usually come with connections? I know I will have more questions once the filter and test kit arrives.
Thank you everyone!
Any suggestions while I wait on test kit and replacement filter?

It might come with the threaded connectors, but if not that is one thing I would feel comfortable getting at the pool store, or I found mine at home improvement store in the pvc area. Just make sure it is the proper thread (take the top of the sand filter with you) and wrap the threads with about 6 wraps of Teflon tape (also at home improvement store in pvc section). That will help prevent any water from leaking around the threads. They should be 1/5" connectors like these http://www.yourpoolhq.com/hayward-spx1091z4.html.

Hello everyone,
So far I've completed the Chlorine and pH which are both at the bottom on the test kit. Chlorine 0.5 and pH was at 6.8. The Chlorine was practically non existent but I've been putting in a gallon each day of concentrated bleach.
Am I doing something wrong with the testing? The new sand filter hasn't arrived yet. The pump is leaking around the drain plug too. Should I continue on with testing all other parts of TF-100 after these test results?
I also have a weird layer of tiny bubbles on top of pool. Also I can see the bottom of the pool today so I don't understand the low Chlorine level.
About a 10 to 14 days ago, I added half a bottle of super algacide plus from Dohenys that my neighbor claimed would fix the dark green mess of a pool. Before that the pool was maintained last year by Baqua and variety of chemicals that my partner used. I can't tell you have many filters we went through with that naw is mess.
The pool is now my responsibility and I'm pretty new with this. I've watched several videos on the test kit last night and will do a few more tests now. The pool/filter and pump is running too. I hope that is fine for the tests. The pool looks like I'm doing laundry with the weird stuff on top of the water, almost like soap suds but tiny bubbles. Occasionally I hear something gurgling like a sucking sound too. Filter is at 12-14psi on a 200 pro-clean waterway cartridge filter.
Obviously I have a few problems going on here.
Any help is appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to ask about the CYA/stabilizer. Is this something that I have to buy at a pool store or is it another household item?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.