Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just got my TF-100 in the mail!!! WOOT!!! Thanks!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool Just got my TF-100 in the mail!!! WOOT!!! Thanks!!!

Thanks Dave!!! Super fast shipping!!!

I didn't realize it was a HUGE kit! WOW! LOL

Just ran three tests, came in to get a sock...

CYA = 28 (Been using pucks since we got the pool on Meorial day and added 16OZ of stabilizer.) So obviously I need just a bit more and I can stop the pucks.
    PH = 7.5 WOO HOO! Thank you baking soda!
    FC = 2 Doh!!!!

Going to add some stabilizer and some chlorine now!!!

Thanks TFP!!!
    Installed May 2014 - 16' x 48" Summer Escapes Pro Series Pool AG Vinyl (6,000 gal) - Intex 2650 Sand Filter - Christmas, FL

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just got my TF-100 in the mail!!! WOOT!!! Thanks!!!

Baking soda does not change the pH ... it raises the TA.
    Which chlorine test did you do?

Now you have the kit, do ALL the tests and post up the number
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the Junior Mad Scientist Club!

Quote Originally Posted by Waldog View Post
    Thanks Dave!!! Super fast shipping!!!

I didn't realize it was a HUGE kit! WOW! LOL

Just ran three tests, came in to get a sock...

CYA = 28 (Been using pucks since we got the pool on Meorial day and added 16OZ of stabilizer.) So obviously I need just a bit more and I can stop the pucks.
    PH = 7.5 WOO HOO! Thank you baking soda!
    FC = 2 Doh!!!!

Going to add some stabilizer and some chlorine now!!!

Thanks TFP!!!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Baking soda does not change the pH ... it raises the TA.
    Which chlorine test did you do?

Now you have the kit, do ALL the tests and post up the number
    Ahhhhh. I thought it raised PH... mine was low a week or so ago and I added some and now it seems fine. Or my old test kit was wrong...

Anyway, I did the TA test and the water started to turn pink / red after 10-11 drops, but when I would stir it would go back to green... is this normal?

I am guessing my TA is 100-110???

I did not do the CH test as I have a vinyl pool.

I should probably do the FAS/DPD test and OCLT but I had do something with my better half last night so I didn't get a chance. I will do it tonight when I get home.
    Installed May 2014 - 16' x 48" Summer Escapes Pro Series Pool AG Vinyl (6,000 gal) - Intex 2650 Sand Filter - Christmas, FL

5. Back To Top    #5

You need to be stirring the entire time you are adding drops. Thus the love of the SpeedStir.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Swirl water with one hand while adding drops with the other. Color needs to change and stay there- so you probably need a drop or few more than the 11. Use the "good" chlorine test with the powder and drops while troubleshooting stuff. The little plastic chlorine/Ph test is great for daily tests.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

7. Back To Top    #7

Full results:

FC 5+
    PH 7.5
    TA 160
    FAS/DPD 4.5
    CC 1
    CYA 28~ (sock in pool now)

Not sure about the FAS/DPD test...? Pretty sure it did it right.

I imagine cc is low due to lack of cya?

I see why the mixing station would be useful now lol

I think I should slam the pool? At this point I would only need one jug of bleach.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Waldog View Post
    Full results:

FC 5+
    PH 7.5
    TA 160
    FAS/DPD 4.5
    CC 1
    CYA 28~ (sock in pool now)

Not sure about the FAS/DPD test...? Pretty sure it did it right.

I imagine cc is low due to lack of cya?
    CC's are indicative of algae/organisms that have been killed by chlorine ... and CC of 1 is actually not low but high. It could very well be due to the fact that your FC was low before you brought it up. With a CYA of 28 / 30 you want to be above 3 at all times.

A CYA level of 30 will probably turn out to be a touch low for Florida and you may find 50 or so to be ideal but it is easier to see what happens now and then bump up in small increments.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

9. Back To Top    #9

I think you need to reread ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

CC is Combined Chlorine, which is bad. TC = FC + CC

In a properly sanitized pool CC should be near zero and CC level above 0.5 is and indication that there are organics in the pool and you should shock.

CC is unrelated to CYA.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks! Think I should slam with one bottle of bleach (roughly) according to pool math to be safe?

11. Back To Top    #11

You order from TfTestkits or whatever it is? I gotta order mine this week, congrats!

12. Back To Top    #12

I'm going to slam the pool...

13. Back To Top    #13

Is it safe to swim if I slam? Or just wait until after when the sun is going down sounds probably better?

14. Back To Top    #14

I don't think you understand the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process ... it is not a one time addition of bleach.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I don't think you understand the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process ... it is not a one time addition of bleach.
    I meant just to start it overnight. I'll have to retest this morning and add more bleach. Pump is still running, and I can smell the chlorine in the pool now so I imagine the levels are up quite a bit.

16. Back To Top    #16

The Chlorine smell that people usually attribute to high chlorine is usually chloramines, aka combined chlorine. While this is a good indication that the chlorine is doing its job by breaking down organics, it is not a reliable indication of chlorine level.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by svenpup View Post
    The Chlorine smell that people usually attribute to high chlorine is usually chloramines, aka combined chlorine. While this is a good indication that the chlorine is doing its job by breaking down organics, it is not a reliable indication of chlorine level.
    Understood. I will re-test asap and keep slamming. Had to leave early this AM for work so I can't get back to it until this afternoon.