Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Higher % or longer run time?

1. Back To Top    #1

Higher % or longer run time?

So I recently added a circupool 45+ and was wondering is it better to run the pump longer with a lower % swg setting or shorter run time and higher? This is in regards to prolonging cell life

I currently run it at 30% from 2am-11am and these were my numbers that I tested around 6pm yesterday
    FC 3.5
    Ph 7.8
    Alkalinity 90
    Cc .5
    Salt 3200 according to cell but 3400 with 1766 Taylor salt kit
    Cya tested 1.5 weeks ago was 60 but threw in my floater with couple of 3" tabs to raise the cya a bit

13k IG pebble pool w/waterfall, 1hp whisperflow pump, pentair ccp320 cartridge filter
    Circupool SI45+ swg
    TF100 +speed stir Taylor 1766 salt test

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Higher % or longer run time?

Does not make any difference. The SWG would still be producing the same amount of FC.

With a single speed pump, I would suggest dramatically shortening your pump run time to save money on electricity and upping the SWG output. Most pools only need 4-6 hours of pump run time.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

yup. What jblizzle said.
    the SWG will require the same effort to make x amount of chlorine.

You really have to play around with it for a while (days or a week or more) to learn how much FC it makes at x percent over a period of time in order for it not to make too much at one time, or let the FC get too low. It very useful to keep a record of your run time, the output percent and your test result so you can track and adjust accordingly.

If you really want to extend the life of the cell, then thats where maintining a slightly higher CYA will come in to play.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks folks for the advice. The current setting leaves me with a FC of 3.5-4 at the end of the afternoon when the pool goes into shade.
    The cya issue I'm working slowly adding it via tablets as I do not want to overshoot it

13k IG pebble pool w/waterfall, 1hp whisperflow pump, pentair ccp320 cartridge filter
    Circupool SI45+ swg
    TF100 +speed stir Taylor 1766 salt test

5. Back To Top    #5

good deal. SOunds like you have it under control!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!