Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Cleaner

Bought a pool cleaner, similar to a Kreepy Krauly type, hooked the lines in good and tight, alot of air comes out the return, whats the deal? No leaks in the system. Did it with our failed aquabug too.
    My pool: 13,500 gallons round pool, 24' w 52" above ground, hard sided pool. Jacuzzi 190L Sand Filter, 1 Horse Waterway pump, Robotic Vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Cleaner

Did you fill the hose with water before connecting?

Often a cleaner hose can't supply enough water to keep the pump basket full. Did your cleaner come with a flow control?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

The pool cleaners does not need very much suction flow to work properly ... so you should not be trying to pull all the flow through the hose.

A friend has the same vac and uses a skimmer plate that lets him still get some skimming as well. Looks something like this, maybe not exactly the same.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Did you fill the hose with water before connecting?

Often a cleaner hose can't supply enough water to keep the pump basket full. Did your cleaner come with a flow control?
    Yes I did, I am wondering if removing it will help. I use a hayward skimmer, the square one.
    My pool: 13,500 gallons round pool, 24' w 52" above ground, hard sided pool. Jacuzzi 190L Sand Filter, 1 Horse Waterway pump, Robotic Vacuum

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    The pool cleaners does not need very much suction flow to work properly ... so you should not be trying to pull all the flow through the hose.

A friend has the same vac and uses a skimmer plate that lets him still get some skimming as well. Looks something like this, maybe not exactly the same.
    I will look into that. Is there any chance that perhaps I can get rid of the inline flow adjuster unit? Seems a bit un-necessary.

6. Back To Top    #6

There is an adjustment on the top of the contraption I posted that adjusts the suction level from the vac.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I saw that, I meant the one that came with the aquavac.

8. Back To Top    #8

You know what ... I totally misunderstood. I thought we were talking about ThePoolCleaner (stupid name). I do not know anything about the AquaVac. You just need some method of adjusting the flow rate through the cleaner.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

This thing is slow as heck, perhaps I got the wrong thing for my sized pool? Any ideas? Had it in for an hour and it see s to only have done around 15-20% of pool.

Preferably a wall climber that will my 90 degree walls. I have an above ground as indicated below with a soft vinyl liner.

10. Back To Top    #10

I have a KreepyKrauly with an independent suction port (separate from skimmer). I have to adjust the three way valve quite a bit to the suction port to get it to move (like 80% suction port 20% skimmer basket). It is slow but as the old saying goes, "slow and steady wins the race!" And it can easily do 90deg vertical walls.

Since you're working totally off your skimmer basket, you'll prob need to fiddle with the flow a lot to get it to work. Can you up your pump speed?